Yet another mast stepping thread... Great design. Looking for hardware input

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
The picture is blurry but it looks like chain link toprail pipe and chain link fence hardware (ends). You could simply; however, hammer the ends flat, drill, and bend to the correct angle.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Interesting and cool idea.

The video gives a brief but better view of the fittings. They look like spinnaker pole or whisker pole ends.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It look like something after OSHA stepped in. Way too complicated for my liking.
APS is still having a clearance sale. You might find some bargains there.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
The video seems to be a variation which has a single gin pole hinged at the mast step in lieu of the double A frame shown in the photo.

A lot of hardware if you trailer every time, but does look pretty safe. The only "OSHA" issue I noticed is the mast is raised by an individual in the cockpit, which is where everything falls if there is a problem. I prefer to do my mast raising from the foredeck, but that's just my personal preference.

As stated above by @CrispyCringle, the robust sliding track at the mast is the trick to making rigid stays work in this system. The video goes into the problem of getting correct geometry for constant length lifting stays. Macgregor tried to solve it by welding eyes to the stanchions. It's ok, but the geometry is still off a bit, and as a result, it's not as rigid as the poles in a sliding track. Of course, there is the additional challenge of a rotating mast to deal with on my boat. Improving my lifting stays is coming up on my list of projects, so enjoying your post and everyone's replies.

Agree that flattening the tubes, bending and drilling/bolting is probably the cheapest way to join the system together. Just takes a bit more time to set up and tear down than the snap fittings in the video. You could use bolted gusset plates at the joints as an alternative.

Self locking gin pole winch, or self tailing winch on boat should be strongly considered. I often raise by myself and have to occasionally stop and check for tangles/kinks on the way up. My raising rig has the self locking winch on it. I can let go at any time and nothing will move (other than slight side to side due to stay geometry).

Please post pics when you build it.

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
How about a single ladder design.
Mounted to the sides of the mast step.
Supported by for and aft lines.
Use of a primary line & lifting block, and a secondary safety line & lifting block if desired to raise the mast.
Ladder can be stored on the trailer.
Works wonderfully for raising my 41' mast myself.

Paul

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Those pics made my jaw drop Paul. Very impressive. :clap:
Gives me a new appreciation for our crane. We also have a mast raising pole but i don't trust it.

Feb 11, 2012
Wow .That is most impressive . I'm imagining set up time is easily 2 hours ?
Typically about two hours to set up the ladder & lines, step the mast, attach the boom, check the standing rigging, take down the ladder and stow it...a little faster if I have a buddy helping out.

Feb 11, 2012
Those pics made my jaw drop Paul. Very impressive. :clap:
Gives me a new appreciation for our crane. We also have a mast raising pole but i don't trust it.
Lol...Thanks.
For my size of mast, I don't trust any system that does not have a secondary safeguard. Smaller vessels not as big a factor, as long as the hardware being used is on the robust side.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I believe your mast step could be made much safer and easier to use ,if you made a few fundamental changes . Use the forestay and not the halyard . .
The halyard is going to rub on the cross pieces . This add tremendous friction to the system and will wear out your halyard . If you have the triangular plates on the upper stays use them as they were intended . They are at the correct height to be in line with the mast base . Rope with clips go from the plates to the gin pole.
The gin pole has a band the goes around the base of the mast and clips . The halyard or forestay clips to the end of the gin pole . The trailer winch clips to the gin pole . Now you can raise/ lower and stop anytime safely with out anyone's help .

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Unfortunately I don't have the mast stepping triangles on my O'Day. I also have a furler on the forestay. I do however have multiple halyards. I believe two of them aren't used even when sailing. A PO had it setup for fast sail changes during races. The gin pole in my design pivots at the bottom so any friction would help keep it moving with the halyard which is exactly what I want. Click on the link above the pic for more details

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
You don't "need " the plates . However they help considerably . The ropes will center the gin pole . At the end of the day ,it's your boat . What ever works for you .

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Yet another design. This one is lower cost for me since I have most of the parts already. Horizontal 1.5" pipe would be positioned about 1" in front of mast. Pipe elbows and straps (for sidestays) would be adjusted accordingly. I'm still very interested in your pics @Timm R Oday25
v3 close up.jpg
v3.jpg