Yet Another Keel Bolt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faris

Apr 20, 2011
Catalina 27 San Juan Islands
So, I'm fixing up C-27 hull #506 - a 1972 fixed keel. Everything important is in good shape aside from the through hull fittings and nasty corroded gate valves (which I know how to deal with), and the keel bolts.

I've read about keel bolts on Catalinas, understand Catalinas advice about sistering, and am aware of the kit that CatalinaDirect sells. Mine are well-rusted such the nuts are no longer really very hexagonal, but still have a nice solid sound to them when tapped. A surveyor is going to come out and give me an opinion.

I have two questions, though, that I can't find reliable answers for:
1) Has anyone actually had a Catalina fixed keel come off or have any direct knowledge of anyone who has? I understand the concern, but I can find no evidence that it has EVER happened on these boats. (I wouldn't count dekeeling from collision.)

2) I have read that the sistering can be done with the boat in the water. I have read several people mention this can be done, but never seen anyone claim to have actually done it. The procedure seems fairly straightforward.

Cheers.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
In your area, there must be hundreds of boatyards that has done this before. Somethings, all of us can do ourselves. Somethings are best left up to people with the right equipment, and experience to do it right, and the best perk, no one gets hurt.

My keel bolts were replaced in a boatyard several years ago. I have a receipt for the work. If I had to do it again, the receipt does not scare me as much as the thought of doing the work myself.

Jon_E

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 27 Marina del Rey
Mine are well-rusted such the nuts are no longer really very hexagonal, but still have a nice solid sound to them when tapped. A surveyor is going to come out and give me an opinion.
A while ago I read where a Catalina-27 owner tried to remove the keel even after removing the keel bolts. The adhesive was so strong that he had a hard time even without the bolts. Eventually he was successful in removing it, but he was impressed by how strongly attached the keel was.

My keelbolts were in exactly the same condition as yours. There was no sign of failure, but I decided to sister them anyway. The yard charged me $150 per bolt which included all parts and labor. I had four added. Seems like a small price for such peace of mind when sailing with my family.

Status
Not open for further replies.