Yes! – Reedville, VA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I can’t believe I was even thinking of leaving this place without seeing it. I’ve been ashore, met the legendary local boatbuilder, visited the very nice fisherman’s museum, http://www.rfmuseum.org/ and rowed down the creek for a soft shell crab sandwich.

I took the advice of my Oxford friend and told the museum staff of my disappointment and that I wrote for the famous SBO and they put me in touch with someone who has an extra ticket. Oysters tomorrow!

Because of all the clothes I’ve brought and my media presence, I’ve jokingly referred to myself as “The Paris Hilton of Cruising”. Looking at what’s around me today and thinking of the constant passage of beauty I am experiencing, I think the Hugh Hefner might me a better anology. Of course, I wouldn’t trade places with that fellow for a minute at this point. I’d have to wear pajamas all day and never leave the house.

Full report on the Oyster Roast tomorrow.

Strider at Anchor

The view from the museum dock:

Skipjack at the museum dock:

My lunch parking spot:

The view out the companionway:

(I wish my camera could capture the light on these trees. I need a ship’s photographer.)

Good thing I like this place. Looking at the weather forecasts, I might end up voting here.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Beautiful colors! Don't tell me it looks better in person ... that would be truly heartbreaking! This weekend I make the sad trip to the marina where T-Bird is stored for the winter. Envy is an evil emotion!

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Errr, Roger, Paris Hilton was probably not the best choice. Try googling Paris Hilton and see what comes up :)

Nov 22, 2008
More Reedville Photos

This amazing house has a schooner mast up the middle and is oriented to the compass points.

Read about it here: http://www.thegablesbb.com/

An abandoned winch:

A couple of sunset shots from the cockpit.

Oct 12, 2011
Oday 34 Dealle
Ah Reedville. I remember it well. Beautiful habour and interesting ruins along the shore. The old homes along the main avenue are cool too. That town could some day become a great boating destination. It won't happen though untill the fish oil plant is shut down. If the wind is wrong it really stinks! It would be nice to see a stop to taking of so many menhaden from the bay around there too.

Sep 23, 2009
Catalina 42 Mk II Fremantle, West Australia
Roger - I think we just missed you or if you're still there, you must be the boat down the end of Cockrell Creek. We were in last night (11/11) just opposite the Seafood Deli's "Osprey" fishing boat. If you're still there, was that you rowing along this morning and talking to the people in the ketch?

Nov 22, 2008
We were in last night (11/11) just opposite the Seafood Deli's "Osprey" fishing boat.
I can't believe it. Yes, that was me. If hadn't been so windy, I was going to row down your way but I had a minor muscle pull from rowing down to the deli the day before in strong winds and was taking it easy.

Remember that you can always figure out if it is me and where I am by looking at my SPOT page:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=0JjTC23pqUeh7ugZrB7KECYzoDc5YLsHO

I'm heading out soon hoping to make Deltaville with a fall back of Chases Creek if it is too rough. I assume you are headed south so we should be able to meet up. Email me if you see that you are close to my position on SPOT.

It's now a hobsons choice between bucking warmer headwinds or riding the biting cold of tailwinds. Today doesn't look great but I've got to make some southing.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
It won't happen though untill the fish oil plant is shut down. If the wind is wrong it really stinks! It would be nice to see a stop to taking of so many menhaden from the bay around there too.

Shut down, Not going to happen - if you take a fish oil supplement, it likely comes from here. I think they are now the second largest fishing port by wieght and it accounts for some 500-1000 jobs in the area.

However, the powers that be, did just vote a 37% reduction in menhaden catch that will take place in 2013, if approved by the full commission and not adjusted by the politicians. There has to be some balance gained.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...1/09/fisheries_regulators_ok_menhaden_limits/

Status
Not open for further replies.