Yearly bottom paint......

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi Greg,

I alternate - one year in the water, the next year haul out, sand, paint, etc/. I have been doing this since 2010 with excellent results. I have been using Pettit paint - Ultima SR 40 or SR 60 depending on price and availability. I clean the bottom about once a month and have just a little slime build up that wipes right off. The only exception is the bottom of the keel - that gets barnacles because I can never get paint on that part of the boat. After two years most of the paint has worn off. I sand any remaining paint off so I don't get any build up. I put two coats on the bottom and an extra coat at the waterline and leading edge of the keel and rudder.

For me it so much cheaper. Winter storage in the water is $500. Haul out is over $2000. Bottom paint and painting supplies are another $500.

Barry
Do you winter at the yachts club??

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I’ve been using Pettit ECO and most of it is gone after two cleanings. I’m ready for something new.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I'd be interested to hear Fastbtms thoughts on the Seahawk Biocop tf. I know he doesn't recommend any Seahawk tin based paints.
I don’t recommend any Sea Hawk products. I have never found one that was worth a damn here in the Bay Area. On top of that, the company is run by a gang of morally reprehensible felons.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Thanks dlochner for the authoritative link that explains Fstbttms perspective. It probably also explains why the Seahawk Biocop TF seemed to work well here. I certainly don't want to use a banned product with the effects that are attributed to the TBT so now I am on the hunt for a good performing semi-hard ablative for use here in Beaufort SC. I had miserable performance from the Micron 66 so that is out of the mix for me. Anybody out there with some good paint experiences in the South Carolina, Georgia, Northern Florida Atlantic Coastal regions? And yes, I know this is another " best anchor" or "your boat - your choice" question.

I may go with removing the ablative down to the barrier coat that I had put on 5 years ago and starting over with a hard paint since I leave the boat in the water all year. As I understand it, if I chose to go to an ablative after the hard paint is no longer effective I can apply an ablative over the hard paint but not visa-versa.

Fstbttms, is my understanding that I can apply an ablative over the hard paint after it is no longer effective (at least 2 years or so I hoep) correct? I know our local conditions dictate what works best here so I'm asking around here but any perspective you have would be appreciated.

Also, it seems getting what is left of the Seahawk Biocop tf off the bottom may be an problem in itself? It seems that Seahawk is still selling the Biocop tf but it may have been reformulated after the litigation?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Sorry to hear that about Sea Hawk and been using Biocop for the last 6years here in Florida
after hearing a friend saying he got 5 years on his sail boat.
It gets very warm the water here in Florida and we have divers clean our bottoms every month
and there is a Marina in PG chargers $30 ft in and out sanded pressure wash and painted with Blue Water bottom paint and so going there next haul out.
Some friends had it done there and good results.
Nick

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I just noticed the litigation and case against Seahawk execs was from 2014. I had my boat painted in March of 2016 with the Seahawk Biocop so I would imagine that the banned product would have been pulled from production well before March of 2016 so the product was probably a reformulated Biocop? At least I would hope the EPA would have forced the removal of the banned product from circulation by then. I know they ordered the paint for the job and it wasn't from stock at the boatyard that may have been laying around.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've used Shelter Island Plus from Blue Water Marine (https://www.bluewatermarinepaint.com) with good results in freshwater. They make several paints that PS has rated positively. Also check Jamestown Distributors, they have a bottom paint survey every fall.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Sea Hawk Biocop is not a product that has ever contained the now-banned biocide, tributyl tin. That honor belongs to the Sea Hawk Islands 44 product, which is unavailable (because it is illegal) in the United States.

Regarding ablative over hard and visa versa- ablative can go over hard paint regardless of the hard paint’s efficacy. Hard paint can go over ablative providing the ablative has been properly prepared.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Regarding ablative over hard and visa versa- ablative can go over hard paint regardless of the hard paint’s efficacy. Hard paint can go over ablative providing the ablative has been properly prepared.
Thanks for the clarification on the Seahawk products that are banned and what can go over what. I was just going to wait until the hard paint lost its efficacy to see how long it lasts here and to see if I like it and to get some "bang for the boat buck" in putting it on. I don't want to get too much build up so the idea of using semi-hard ablative after the hard paint doesn't work anymore was a thought to prevent that.