Yard Recommendations - East Coast Refit

Jun 3, 2015
S&S 34 Port Washington
Looking for recommendations for a yard that could do a complete gut job/re-design of the interior in an early '70s plastic classic 34 footer. Other than the engine and the electrical system (which are both in good shape), pretty much everything else would be removed and the interior re-designed somewhat. So I am looking for a shop that can give some thoughtful effort to the interior design issues, as space will be tight.

The boat is in the NYC area, so someplace not too far from there would be preferable, but could also deliver it farther afield if need be. Goal would be to have this work done over the 2022/2023 winter. Any suggestions welcome.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I used to work at a yard that did this kind of work. It is located in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Back then, it was known as Brewer Plymouth, but I think nowadays it is a Safe Haven yard. They were known for full restorations of some classic boats, and all kinds of work on more modern craft.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'd probably look in the Annapolis area.

The wholesale buy up of marinas by Safe Harbor in the North East is not doing this area anything good, in my opinion....

dj

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Dutch Wharf in Branford CT has a good reputation. They refurbished a 1929 Elco that won a number of prizes at classic boat rallies.
Derecktor's in Mamaroneck would also be a candidate. Neither will be cheap.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Since the major work is wood work, I would look to Maine and a small company there. Plenty of good craftsmen there.

What kind of boat are you restoring? This is going to be an expensive proposition, I'd guess well into the 6 figures.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Since the major work is wood work, I would look to Maine and a small company there. Plenty of good craftsmen there.

What kind of boat are you restoring? This is going to be an expensive proposition, I'd guess well into the 6 figures.
I hadn't thought about this being pretty much wood work... I was thinking "classic plastic"...

There is a small boat shop on Long Island that only works on wooden boats, they do very nice work. I'm not sure they'd be interested in this work, but that would be for them to decide. It's called "The Boat Yard at Founders Landing". 2700 Hobart Rd, Southold, NY 11971 phone: 631 477 2700.

I've seen their work, they do very nice work... But like I said, don't know if they'd be interested in doing your boat... You could call them and ask.

dj

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There was a yard, which Mainsail highlighted, that did complete refurbishments of older designs - such as an Alberg - into a completely new vessels - like a daysailer. I'm sure they could do whatever you want. Search the forums for post from Mainsail - then sent him a donation through the Compass Marine website.

Jun 3, 2015
S&S 34 Port Washington
There was a yard, which Mainsail highlighted, that did complete refurbishments of older designs - such as an Alberg - into a completely new vessels - like a daysailer. I'm sure they could do whatever you want. Search the forums for post from Mainsail - then sent him a donation through the Compass Marine website.
I think you are referring to Tim Lackey up in Maine. I sent him a note a few days ago but haven't heard back from him.

Jun 3, 2015
S&S 34 Port Washington
I hadn't thought about this being pretty much wood work... I was thinking "classic plastic"...

There is a small boat shop on Long Island that only works on wooden boats, they do very nice work. I'm not sure they'd be interested in this work, but that would be for them to decide. It's called "The Boat Yard at Founders Landing". 2700 Hobart Rd, Southold, NY 11971 phone: 631 477 2700.

I've seen their work, they do very nice work... But like I said, don't know if they'd be interested in doing your boat... You could call them and ask.

dj
Thanks, I will give them a call. I was just in Southold last week.

Jun 3, 2015
S&S 34 Port Washington
Dutch Wharf in Branford CT has a good reputation. They refurbished a 1929 Elco that won a number of prizes at classic boat rallies.
Derecktor's in Mamaroneck would also be a candidate. Neither will be cheap.
Thanks. Derecktor's was on my list, as it would be super convenient (and I am sure expensive). Dutch Wharf looks like a possibility too.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
OK the place at Founder's Landing in Southold is a combination of two employees from the former Wooden Boat Works in Aquabogue run by Don Constanza. He sold the business to the employees who associated with Hanf's boatyard formerly of Greenport. They are all craftsmen. I have to find pics but I toured the Aquabogue facility while they were building a Fife 10 meter - actually I think they built two. Father- son. Came sorta close to getting to do the delivery as crew but not ...
I can't wrap my head around how you sell a business like that - to anyone. There had to be several hundred thousand dollars of wood stored there. Who could afford to have that asset sitting around waiting for a job to come by? Yet they are still there.
I'll look for the pics I took. Some I've posted before.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
OK the place at Founder's Landing in Southold is a combination of two employees from the former Wooden Boat Works in Aquabogue run by Don Constanza. He sold the business to the employees who associated with Hanf's boatyard formerly of Greenport. They are all craftsmen. I have to find pics but I toured the Aquabogue facility while they were building a Fife 10 meter - actually I think they built two. Father- son. Came sorta close to getting to do the delivery as crew but not ...
I can't wrap my head around how you sell a business like that - to anyone. There had to be several hundred thousand dollars of wood stored there. Who could afford to have that asset sitting around waiting for a job to come by? Yet they are still there.
I'll look for the pics I took. Some I've posted before.
I spent a fair bit of time there this past summer. I don't know anything about the history but was watching work they were doing on several boats. The craftsmanship I observed on boats they were working on was quite high level. They are pretty busy, at least they were this past summer. Most of the boats they were working on were completely wood. A lot of boats from the early 1900's. Some really beautiful boats! Not that I want to own one, but they sure are nice to look at. I'm glad somebody has the resources to keep them going. I did hear the name Don Constanza but did not meet him.

Like I said, I've no idea if this kind of project is something they'd be interested in. The main guy (I can't think of his name) running the place now is quite knowledgeable. I'm sure they aren't cheap....

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Heading in a little different direction, consider Cayuga Wooden Boatwork in Ithaca NY. They restored When and If, George Pattons boat recently and have a good reputation. Besides, when you go to check on the progress you are deep in NY wine country. (They have website but it wasn't loading this morning, could be my computer. They are a reputable company.)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Looking for recommendations for a yard that could do a complete gut job/re-design of the interior in an early '70s plastic classic 34 footer. Other than the engine and the electrical system (which are both in good shape), pretty much everything else would be removed and the interior re-designed somewhat. So I am looking for a shop that can give some thoughtful effort to the interior design issues, as space will be tight.

The boat is in the NYC area, so someplace not too far from there would be preferable, but could also deliver it farther afield if need be. Goal would be to have this work done over the 2022/2023 winter. Any suggestions welcome.
There are many options up here in Maine, if you don't find something locally.

Due to the growing number of marine haulers, there are a number of yards inland that do the type of work you seek. They arrange long hauls (out of state) as well as short. It might be worth your while getting quotes from afar.

Yards here usually specialize in either wooden or fiberglass boats, and stick to what they know.

B40 foliage crop final.jpg

Dec 5, 2021
Cape Dory 28 Barnegat
From Port Washington you are quite close to a yard in NJ that specializes in the work you describe. I've quite a bit of experience with this yard, and other than the financial pain related to just about any boat work, and restorations in particular, this is one yard you definitely want to know bout.

It's a day sail (rather a day "motor trip") from Port Washington down the East River and outside to Manasquan, and then inside for 15 NM to Toms River NJ where the yard is located. You don't want to take too much more that 5 feet draft inside this part of NJ.

deRouville's Boat Shop (de Rouville's Boat Shop)