Yanmar YSE 12 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
Hello All:

I am upgrading my engine panel to one that has tach, oil pressure & temp, and water temp. Does anyone know where to get the senders that I would need? The oil and water I could probably source at an auto parts store, but the tach pickup has me baffled. I have heard that one could use a pickup on the alternator, or there may be a spot on the bell housing that is set up for a pickup. the manual I have is not translated very well, and doesn't mention anything that I need to know concerning my needs.

Any help would be appreciated!

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I used to have a Yanmar YSM8 on my previous boat, an S 2. It was a tiney 8 horse engine but super tough & reliable. Probably about the same output as the set up on the Cat. 30, but given the 10k weight on the C 30 vs. 7,500 lbs. on my S 2 I think the 8 HP was probably stronger! Anyway, I would take the Yanmar over the 5411 anyday. I would contact Torrenson Marine for parts. They carry everything for Yanmar. The problem is that the small, early Yanmars are designed to be reliable, but very basic (less to break). Mine also had no gauges at all, except the dummy lights for low oil pressure. You may be able to get the sending units from Torrenson, but the Tachometer would still have to be calibrated for your engine rev's. Just my 2 cents, but the Yanmar is so tough U may not need the gauges. The only problem that I ever had was that the fuel pickup tube at the bottom of the gas tank had a piece of wire mesh shoved in it to act as a strainer - WHEN, not of it clogs it will stall your engine for fuel. If U still have this mesh strainer, get rid of it. That's the job for the fuel filters anyway. Cheers.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
ps. If your Yanmar has raw sea water cooling like mine did, you don't need a water temp. gauge, as this temp. will remain constanly low to the raw water temp. coming through the engine, unless you have a heat exchanger. The yanmar manual was difficult to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.