Yanmar yse 12 need help starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2011
tanzer tanzer 28 bathurst nb
Hi all

My yse 12 has a very good compression, the previous owner installed a nee fuel pump on it( the high pressure one). To start it i have to pull hard on the fuel lever on the pump, and the it idle Pretty high, once started it is fine and dandy but the pulling is making it a pain to start. I tried adjusting my control cable to have more tension at full throttle, but anything i do don't work and just get my idle speed higher.... Tired of friggin on it

Anyone ever had this problem before?

RAD88

Dec 15, 2008
Hunter 30 Glen Cove, NY
??? Do you mean you are advancing the throttle? I guess from what you are saying that you have a mechanical fuel pump. I am not familiar with a high pressure fuel pump for the YSE 12 - mine is electrical , has no lever. I start mine by pushing the throttle forward 1/4 turn and the engine turns right over. You might want to cross reference the fuel pump with the Yanmar parts list. Maybe its not the right pump?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I would try advancing the throttle to 3/4 and see if that helps. I sort of remember something about the throttle advancing the timing (not sure if that is the case)

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I would try advancing the throttle to 3/4 and see if that helps. I sort of remember something about the throttle advancing the timing (not sure if that is the case)
It is definitely the case with the Yanmar 1GM that I have, according to the manual.

I find that that engine definitely starts the best with the throttle at full. It fires instantly, and then I quickly back off the throttle to keep it from over-revving. At least that's how it works with my 1GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.