Yanmar versus Westerbeke

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Captain John

I am seeking comsumer/maintenance information for the Westerbeke 30hp and the Yanmar 27hp engines. I wish to place the most efficient and low maintenance cost engine on my new Beneteau 361. Any advise may be posted here. Please copy your posting/experiences to jingram@erols.com

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Yanmar 3GM30F Experience

Can't speak to the Westerbeke but I've had a Yanmar 3GM30 (24 hp continuous) F (fresh water cooled) for 12 years and 13,000 miles, a lot under sail but enough under power. Consumer maintenance is very easy and the only downside is the oil change. The oil filter is horizontal so it is very hard to capture all the oil - some always escapes down the side into the pan under the engine. Engine fuel filter is easy to change and bleed using the lever operated fuel pump. If one had an electric pump it would be easier. Bleeding the enjector lines is easy especially with the engine running - just crack the enjector fuel line with the engine at idle and it gets rough then tighten and go to the next injector. Raw water pump is easy to get at but have spare impellers and spare round head bronze screws available. Keep spare belts. The standard 50 amp alternator should be replaced with a Balmar 70 amp or equal if you have refrigeration - the Balmar puts out much more by comparison than the rating might indicate. The OEM Yanmar alternator does not have a delay where as the Balmar has 45 seconds after starting before it starts generating. The Yanmar transmission is trouble free. Adjustment of the valves is fairly easy . Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Yanmar part 2

Had to send the previous message to keep from getting cut off. The Yanmar valve cover has a neoprene O-ring seal vice the cork type so it is re-usable, a nice feature. Ditto the seals on the heat exchanger. Yanmars do not like to be idled either for charging batteries or motoring long distances in no-wake areas; they like to be run at about 2850 RPM minimum (for the 3GM30) to prevent carbon buildup in the cylinders. Starting is without glow plugs but use a good battery and the engine cranks and starts easily, even in near freezing weather. Never use starter fluid, especially in a diesel. The 3GM30 should be the perfect size for your boat. There you have it, and if I think of anything else I'll add it.

C

Captain John

Thank you John

Thank you John, You message provided lots of useful information.

B

Brian Mills

Yanmar Vs Westerbeke

To Captain John I also am wondering which is the better engine for a Oceanis 361. I was suprised to find the Yanmar was changed to an upgrade status after I had already ordered my boat last fall. Please e-mail me your thoughts at Mebgasman@AOL.com . I have talked to many Yanmar supporters by know little about the Westerbeke. Brian Mills

Status
Not open for further replies.