Yanmar transmission repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2011
Hunter 37 Cutter Yankton SD
Hi -

I am looking for a good reputable repair shop for my Yanmar 2gm, Kanzaki KM2a transmission from a 1981 Hunter 30.

Bought the boat this fall on the hard, topped off the transmisison fluid and had a slow leak out of the rear transmission seal.

Pulled the transmission yesterday morning to change the seals, noticed that the transmission turns rough, like it catches, and grindy sound when turning by hand. Possibly a bearing problem?

So..... I think better send it in to someone for inspection/repair. I could pull of the bell housing end and take a peak, but not sure what to look for other than bad gear teeth ect.

I talked to the mechanic at my Marina and he never pulled a transmission in 10 years working there, so I want to send it to someone who does a lot of work on these.

Any advice on good repair shops woull be appreciated.

-Paul

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
You might talk to a John Deere service shop about the transmission. They sell Yanmar engines in their tractors and likely would understand transmissions as well. Yes they are different applications and different transmissions but a good mechanic will know how to repair these fairly simple transmissions.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Paul:

I would contact the Yanmar master distributor in your region. They may be able to do a rebuild or suggest someone in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.