Yanmar Throttle

• Thread starter Deleted member 78819
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 78819

The throttle on my Yanmar is very stiff. I understand that I need some friction there so it will stay where I put it but in this case my wife can't even get it to move and I'm afraid I'm going to break the handle. Do I have to get inside of the binnacle to loosen it up a little? Else, is there anything I can lubricate? Where?

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
The thortle cable needs lubrication from time to time. If the cable is badly corroded a replacement is best. Also check that the throtle lever at the engine is free.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Benny, how would one go about lubing the cable? It is uphill from the engine to the throttle arm.

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
There are a few "Cable Lube Tools" in the market. It is basically a clamp that attaches to to the cable end and has an opening to allow a lubricant to be injected or sprayed forcing it down the cable casing. In this instance gravity helps but the cable must be removed from the throtle lever mechanism. Like I said if the cable is badly corroded and after loosening it it will hardly slide inside the casing just replace it.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Therein lies the rub. Seems like the high end of the cable is always the relatively inaccessible one. I will beat a path to the door of someone who invents a tool for lubing cables from the bottom up.

Apr 15, 2009
C&C 30 Annapolis
clamp

One thing to try first..
To provide a little friction so that the throttle doesn't pull itself back (function of the governor) there is usually a wire rope clamp fastened around the throttle cable in the vicinity of the engine. This may be too tight. Try loosening the clamp a small bit and see if things improve. If not, lube or better yet replace the cable.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Re: clamp

While you are at it, move the clamp(if you have one) to a spot nearer the head of the cable ie nearer the top of the pedestal. I moved mine to right under the base of the pedestal as it was the nearest I could get to that. It means the cable has less length to bend between the control and the clamp. I found it worked much better but harder to get to to adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.