yanmar stuffing box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2007
- - NYC
Sailors.... So i have quite a leak since i started running my yanmar engine.....Im guessing the stuffing box has never been fixed(27ft hunter 1983).....How big a project is this....Is it something i can do myself when the boat is hauled? Any help would be great....Also any ideas for a temp solution for the leaking.... Thanks

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Scott, check out this link

Entire project fully detailed by Maine Sail http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

Nov 7, 2004
- - Cortlandt Manor, NY
Not too hard to do

I did it on my 1981 Hunter 27 three years ago. I used goretex packing and it hasn't leaked or needed an adjustment since. The entire job should take about an hour, maybe two depending on how hard it is to get the old stuff out. Make sure you get the right size stuffing -- I believe mine was 7/32", but not sure. good luck.

sr1029

Jun 20, 2007
- - Sadler Point FL
stuffing box

I have a 78 Hunter 30. Take a tip, go to Home Depot, Lowes or anywheres and get a set of picks. One of them has a hook on the end and another is straight. I had no luck using a screw as some have said. by the time you get a good grip, its tighten up the packing so it won't come out. On mine, I could do this in the water or out. Let it leak, the bildge pump can handle it. Isn't that bad. Be sure to use the right size packing and use the teflon type. Like your kitchen pans, it won't burn and works great. Alternated the seams around the shaft, be sure to cut each piece eactly the right length to go all the way around the shaft and alternate the end seems so they don't align up. you should be using at least 3 pieces, 4 if you can squeeze it in. Hand tighten the locking nut then give it a quarter turn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.