Yanmar starting issue

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
I was reading through discussions on problems associated with starting Yanmars. There was a lot of modification being done to the solenoid wiring in that it appears in a lot of cases to be undersized. The one thing I did not find was a descriptive on how the problem manifests itself, was the solenoid weak, did not engage? I am experiencing a new problem where the boat was in the yard for two months and upon splashing would not start (turn over). In troubleshooting I found a loose connector and voila it cranked right over, later I tried just before leaving and dead again. I ran a wire pair from the momentary start button down and I could hear the solenoid clicking so I assumed I have a dead spot on the commutator, but an quite curious about the aforementioned issue. The started had no problem prior. Getting to the starter is a bear, growl! I will be installing the hatch port access through the bathtub to get access to the engine port side pronto.

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
If you have not done so clean all the connecting cables including the grounds on the engine and on back to the battries. Clean the studs washers nuts so on. Make them shine. If you want to go to the next step stop at Radio Shack or online and get some DeoxIT. I think you may just have some bad connections.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The problem usually manifests itself by a random failure to crank the engine when the button is pushed. The problem can be traced to increased voltage drop on the solenoid circuit cause by old wiring. It will start as a sporadic happening and with time it will deteriorate in frequency. In your case it may seem the advice to make sure the connectors are clean and tight will take care of your problem.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
GROUND

GROUND

GROUND

For starters (pi) :)

Connections, 99% of all electrical issues.

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
The symptom matches, but I had shown about a one volt drop when I make the momentary and tried running in an additional lead to the starter relay. Mutter mutter the starter is so hard to get to.