Yanmar SD20 Sail Dirve - Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Yanmar SD20 Sail Drive - Oil Change

I really don't know if I want to ask this question because I am afraid that I won't like the answer. But here goes anyway.

I will soon take delivery of a new 2012 Hunter 33 (e33???). It is fitted with a Yanmar diesel 3YM30 29 hp and a sail drive SD20. I have had a look at the service manual under changing drive oil. [SIZE=+0]I[/SIZE]t describes how to change the oil “out of water” for both the SD20 and SD50 drives. Then it goes on to show how to change the oil "in the water" but only shows pictures of the SD50. Is the procedure for the SD20 the same as the SD50 "in the water" or do boats with the SD20 have to be hauled every 100 hours to change the drive oil?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Re: Yanmar SD20 Sail Drive - Oil Change

Well I will be darned. I specifically searched on Yanmar sail drives, thinking that there couldn't be another manufacturer out there that was so design deficient. I may go a full year, i.e. 100 plus, once the warranty is off. But for now, it looks like a regular and expensive haul out is in order.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Two things about saildrives that I never could figure out.. 1.. Why don't they design them to run completely full of oil . That way, an above-waterline reservoir/standpipe could hold oil so that the oil pressure inside the saildrive leg is always above the seawater pressure outside.. That way, oil would leak out and be seen via a drop in the reservoir instead of seawater leaking into the oil.. That would not add any significant cost to the unit. and 2.. Why not have a cap sealed dip tube to the bottom of the gearbox so a person could hook a pump to the tube and suck all the oil out.. then add new.. without pulling the boat..and the third thing is; why don't they make the leg out of an engineered, fiber reinforced plastic like Torlon or glass filled Peek so the leg would not corrode.. OK maybe that was not two.. but I think valid points that would not add any significant cost... especially would be cheaper to run over the years..

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Why

I have never owned a boat with sail drive and have not seen many in the boat yards on the hard so what is tthe good or bad about them just curisous.
Nick

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
1) Cheaper combination of powertrain and installation in new boat.
2) Quieter and less vibration.
3) More usable interior space in boat.
4) Supposedly no water in the bilge.

I still do not believe that placing a transmission under water is a good thing. It may be a good option for some boats like catamarans whose other alternative may be the use of outboards but not on boats where a standard set up is possible. They seem to require a more strict maintenance schedule than the standard.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
They also require a huge hole in the bottom of your boat. Yikes...

Status
Not open for further replies.