Yanmar SB8 Winterizing

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Brick, NJ
Hello,

I am in the process of winterizing my 1979 Hunter 27 and I was wondering if the Yanmar SB8 engine needs to be fogged. I have already pumped antifreeze through it, changed its oil, fuel filter, and other stuff but I am not sure if I need to fog it. It is a diesel engine, which from my experience don't need fogging, but it has a carburetor which are usually fogged in other engines. So I am at this conundrum; to fog or not to fog. Any help would be very much appreciated.

-Thank you very much

Feb 17, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Lower Salford, PA / Tolchester,MD marina
to late for this year unless you want to run the antifreeze through your system again. I have not fogged my YSM12 in about eight years, if this helps.

Jul 21, 2014
Hunter 27 Cherubini Lanoka Harbor
I just ran antifreeze through per my diesel buddies. Took about 3/4 of a gallon. Thank you again for the overheating advice.

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Brick, NJ
I just ran antifreeze through per my diesel buddies. Took about 3/4 of a gallon. Thank you again for the overheating advice.
Yeah it took about the same amount of anti freeze for me too. And no problem, glad to help you out. I know it might be a little late, but I hope you removed your thermostat before you pumped the antifreeze through your system. If the engine isn't hot the thing stays closed and you'll be pumping all your antifreeze out the bypass. Which means your engine block won't get any. Almost made that mistake myself. Sucks its winter time. I miss boating.

Apr 13, 2009
Hunter 27_75-84 Edgewater, Chesapeake
No Fogging Required

I just winterized my '79 H27 and this time, since I had bought some, I decided to fog the engine.

After I'd run it for 30 minutes I flushed with Antifreeze and then squirted a long spray of engine fog into the intake manifold. All that happened was a couple of knocks as the engine fired early and a whole bunch of the fog drained back out.

I've never done this before and I didn't get a lot of satisfaction from doing it now.

I think if you want to spend more time on the boat, changing the engine zinc is more useful.

Warmest regards.

Andrew