Yanmar SB8 Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marcus

I have an SB8 and need to change the fluid in the transission. This is the last thing I need to do for regular maintenance. How is this accomplished? Any resources online for drawings or directions?

T

Terry

Hi Marcus, we had an H28 with a 2GM....

we changed the tranny fluid the same way we changed the engine oil, with a vacuum pump. It is the one used to extract oil through the dip stick hole. Your tranny should have an oil fill plug at the top, which is where you extract the oil and put fresh in. Yanmar recommends using the same oil for both engine and tranny. We used Delo 400 30 weight. The tranny takes very little. Our tranny dip stick had a line at the very tip and that was the full mark when the stick cap was resting on the opening, not screwed in. Terry

M

Marcus

Thanks Terry

thant is how my friend's is on his Universal. I haven't seen a dip stick on mine though. I'll have to look again.

T

Terry

Hi Marcus, you're welcome. Your tranny...

should have a threaded metal hex head plug at the top, which is where you add lubricant. When you take this plug out it should have a stick attached to it, hence dip stick. At least mine is set up that way. The hand operated plastic vacuum pumps work okay, but if you want the easiest and cleanest device purchase the one at West Marine. It is a two gallon blue metal container that has a vacuum pump attached to it. It is a little pricey, but well worth the investment. The pump is used to create a vacuum in the container, which sucks all the old oil out through the dip stick hole and into the container. Terry

M

Marcus

That's the same pump my friend has.

It seems to work very well. I did not notice a dip stick on my filler cap. Maybe my eyes are worse than I thought. Thanks again.

T

Terry

Hi Marcus, if you do not have a dip stick...

you may have to pour in a measured amount, cosult your owner's manual for the amount. Does not take much. Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.