Yanmar SB8 - Shut off Cable

Apr 14, 2020
Windstar 27 Seattle
Hi All,
I'm going to be installing a Yanmar SB8 soon into my sailboat and while taking a look at the controls situation, I noticed their wasn't a clear/evident place for the stop cable to brace to (if one is used? Does the key being in the off position turn off the motor?) My old diesel used a stop cable so I have it ready to use. I'm also planning on replacing all the other old control cables so if anyone has any good info on what works best with these older yanmars, much appreciated! That bracing fork for the shift cable is much larger than my current setup for the shift cable... Thank you!

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Does the key being in the off position turn off the motor?
On the older YS Yanmar singles. the throttle control is the engine shut down.
Push it all the way and it reduces the fuel flow to zero.
The throttle cable attachment to the engine will be a very simple lock bolt that will clamp the cable.
Using the existing throttle system would be the easiest way out.

The gear change lever will be 20 mm or about 7/8 inch.
If your old gear cable (is in good condition and) ends in a threaded rod your best bet would be to use it and make up a fork attachment for the end that will attach to the SB lever.

I know you have an SB and I have mentioned a YS, but the connections for the throttle and gear selector are almost the same.

gary

Apr 14, 2020
Windstar 27 Seattle
Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response. When you say "Push it all the way and it reduces the fuel flow to zero" are you saying give it full throttle? From testing the motor, I got it to turn off by holding the throttle lever back towards me from its idle position. It pushes into that spring set screw thing about a 1/4" from the idle position.

In regards to the shift cable, mines pretty rusty from sitting for so long, probably just going to replace. I've been trying to find what the original set-up looks like for that large 7/8" fork where it braces on the motor.... online research hasn't turned much up.

May 29, 2018
Hi
I got it to turn off by holding the throttle lever back towards me from its idle position.

You throttle operation is opposite to mine.
As I pull my throttle lever back the engine revs up. So as I push it forward it revs down. All the way forward and the engine stops. Depending on whether yours is on the port or s/board and how the cable is run pushing or pushing past idle speed should stop the fuel flow.
Long answer sorry.

I will take a photo of my cable to gearbox lever fork connection this week end and post. it is not a thing of beauty.
I would remove the cables and see if they are salvageable. Genuine Morse cables are stainless inside and a good soak with
WD 40 and a wipedown could save you money.

gary

May 29, 2018
Here are the pics of my YSE gear lever connection.
There are two pre-drilled holes in the lever
This is the factory standard,
There is a male tang bolted to the lever about 5 inches down.
Then there is a fork fitting that connects with a pin.
All nicely greased up.
gear lever 1.jpg
gear lever 2.jpg
gear lever 3.jpg

Gary

Apr 14, 2020
Windstar 27 Seattle
Thanks for the photos gary! I'm gonna try and rig something up once i get the motor in.

copaco

Sep 30, 2020
Mirage 27' Saint-Jean-Port-Joli,Qc
I have had this shut-off problem with my Yanmar sb 8.I drilled a hole in the throttle lever and rigged a U turn stop cable to pull the lever forward.Before this, if I put the lever to idle and pull back further the rpm would increase.There was a stop pull button on the cockpit panel to witch I have now used for the shut-off cable.