Yanmar SB8 disassembly...

braol

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Rebel 16 Great Lakes Naval Base, IL
So, I disassembled the top of my Yanmar SB8 engine...

...isn't that how all bad stories start??? The head came off grudgingly but off it came. Turns out that the valves were fine but the water passages were mostly stopped-up. I also learned the value of a powerful magnet on an extension: 1) When you are not paying attention and you drop a pushrod down into the engine case, a magnet on a long extension handle is your best friend... 2) Also when cleaning rust out of water passages it turns out that (thank goodness) rust is actually STILL magnetic! My water passages never looked so good. I couldn't vacuum-out the rust or turn the engine upside down, so the magnet was a real life saver.

The next step is to bring the head to the engine shop to get professionally degreased and then decked/faced to ensure that it is truly flat. Being an old hand with performance cars part of me can't resist perhaps getting a multi-angle valve grind and then maybe port and polish the intake/exhaust passages.... Being just an 8hp, single cylinder diesel that would just be sure madness, but there just might be an extra 1/2 horsepower lurking in there somewhere (right next to the roller-bearing rocker arms, right?)...

I have the new head gasket all ready to go. My only concern is the high-pressure injection pump. I'm not sure it is working and I'm not sure if it can be rebuilt or just purchased new?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Pretty easy to test inj pump and injector.. Connect injector to high pressure pump tubing. Bleed fuel system so there is no air in the system. Spin the motor (by hand is OK) with raw water pump disconnected and watch for fuel to spray out of the injector tip.. should be a fine uniform fan of mist.. don't put a finger on the tip because it can inject diesel into you. can be done with injector in the head or out..
The folks at Toad Marine can help with parts when ya need 'em:
http://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/ships_store/?p=results&kw=ysb+8&x=7&y=10

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
There is probably a diesel injection repair shop in your neighborhood. Try the Yellow Pages. Rebuilding pumps and injectors is pretty routine for such an operation (and a lot cheaper than buying new).

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Turning the engine by hand would have indicated if there was adequate compression. Removing the fuel line between the high pressure pump and the injector would have shown if the pump was working or just stuck frozen. Since the engine had been running good prior to the lay off I would say there is high possibility the pump got gummed up and the plunger was stuck frozen. You would need to take the pump out and soak the plunger end in a lubricating solution and work it until it releases. If the moving parts of the pump get scarred and operation is not reliable a rebuild is not recommended, don't throw good money away and just replace the pump. We still do not know for certain if it is the pump, you would need to ascertain if there is adequate compression.

braol

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Rebel 16 Great Lakes Naval Base, IL
I have a suspicion that the plunger must be stuck open because I DO get fuel out of the injection pump...but no more than I see coming out of the lift pump...and definitely not at any high pressure. The injector is getting sent out also for disassembly and cleaning.