Yanmar Reface

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Hunter 31 0 TSS, Apollo Beach FL
Presently replacing the sea water pump, fresh water pump, fuel lines, filters and belts, cleaning the heat exchanger and replacing all of the hoses and clamps. All the major pieces are for the most part Yanmar / Racor. The nuts and bolts on most of the equipment are showing their age, so my first thought (usually bad) is to replace all of the present bolts and washers with stainless, now I am thinking maybe not, dis-similar metals and all. So how do I determine what the bolts are "made of". All the clamps are 316 stainless. Any help is appreciated.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The bolts on my Yanmar are all steel. The bolts holding the transmission to the block look to be grade 8 steel. All are metric. There should be no issue mixing and matching SS and plain steel.

I'd only replace the ones that are showing wear, i.e., rounded bolt or nut corners or corrosion.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
You could also get the nuts and bolts from a Yanmar dealer but you'd have to rob a bank (no, make that two banks) to pay for them.

I'd try to match them as close as possible to the originals at an industrial supplier. In a perfect world, I'd keep them all steel. Check the bolt heads for the grade.

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
You could also get the nuts and bolts from a Yanmar dealer but you'd have to rob a bank (no, make that two banks) to pay for them.

I'd try to match them as close as possible to the originals at an industrial supplier. In a perfect world, I'd keep them all steel. Check the bolt heads for the grade.
Did a little more homework with a parts catalog and found the bots on the heat exchanger are plated, so the grade issue I know is stamped on the head and always lock washers and a dis-similar metal tee-gel. Thanks for the advice.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
When you say "showing their age", what does that mean? I don't know anyone who replaces hardware due to age, only if they are damaged.
I flushed my heat exchanger a while back. It was amazing how much crud was built up in the overflow tank. The drains were even plugged.

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
When you say "showing their age", what does that mean? I don't know anyone who replaces hardware due to age, only if they are damaged.
I flushed my heat exchanger a while back. It was amazing how much crud was built up in the overflow tank. The drains were even plugged.
Don't want to be a smart ass, my interpretation of Showing their age: bolt heads are not crisp angles, corroded, threads are showing wear, rust. Thats age. another thought is when something is 33 years old and being in salt water, a good practice is when replacing components do the entire system as in hoses, pumps and such. Thats what I am doing.
When i cleaned out the Heat Exchanger, had the same issue, crud and barnacles, cleaned up quickly, used a gun cleaning rod for a 22 rifle. Easy.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Last winter I replaced all those parts and a lot more on my 3GM30F. Parts dealer sent me a catalogue and I made a large spread sheet of every individual part that I wanted to replace, including all of the bolts and nuts. When all the parts came, I organized each component assembly with all the parts in individual labeled zip lock bags. It made assembly super easy and organized as I didn't have to sift through parts to find the correct items (especially bolt sizes). I bought close to $1,000 in parts and I was happy to get everything from one source rather than shopping around. Buying bolts from a Yanmar dealer was expensive, but it made my life a lot less complicated.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've used a couple of different sources for Yanmar parts. The best service and prices I have found come from Niemiec Marine. If they don't have the part they can usually get it overnight and will ship the day they receive it from their distributor (Mack-Boring).

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
That's who I went to. They provided me with the parts manual, which was a great marketing trick on their end. I spent a lot for new parts just because it was so easy to see what I wanted!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That's who I went to. They provided me with the parts manual, which was a great marketing trick on their end. I spent a lot for new parts just because it was so easy to see what I wanted!
Time is money too. I have done the same with other resellers.
I use Niemiec Marine for all my OEM Yanmar parts also

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Time is money too. I have done the same with other resellers.
I use Niemiec Marine for all my OEM Yanmar parts also
I have been using Crowleys Yacht in Chicago, fast service, and always have had what I needed.
We live on the southeast side of TB and the hour drive and tolls to St Pete, can be a little much.