Yanmar Quit, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob F

While motoring back to the barn at abt 2500 rpm, my Yanmar suddenly lost power and quit running. It started right back up and I motored in slowly abt 1500 rpm. It was like someone pulled the thottle back when in quit. I am assuming I have a plugged fuel filter(s) so I am changing them tomorrow. Am I on the right track? Anything else I should check? Visual inspection is all A-OK, no leaks or crimped fuel lines. Thanks. Bob

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 28.5 Palm Coast, FL
You're on the right track

lack of fuel is the most common problem. Make sure you bleed the system.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Lake Lanier, GA
Bob,

If you were out in any rough seas also pull the fuel pick up tube and inspect/clean blockage off of it. Commonly, rough seas will stirr up the tank and cause this problem. It self corrects when the engine shuts down and the fuel pump stops sucking. It will return, someday Pat McCartin Inland Marine Diesel Buford, Ga imd_ga@hotmail.com

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
Pick Up Tube

Pat is right. My 376 had a small stainless mesh filter on the lower end of the pickup tube and this plugged when I had diesel bug. It is not an easy thing to clean when under way so I removed it. Next dose of diesel bug clogged the whole feed pipe but it was easily blown through and also the main water separator filter clogged. On balance I prefer NOT to have a filter inside the tank. Best of luck.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Bob, like my high school autoshop teacher use to

shout, Fill the tank! You ran out of gas!!! He wasn't very polite. :)

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
Fred.........

Gotta give me some credit! Outta Gas? Heck, I havent done that since I was 16 driving my old Karmen Ghia that had the "reserve" hand valve on the floor board. Remember those old VW's? Anyway got the Yanmar running A-OK this AM. Combination of plugged fuel pick-up and a clogged primary filter. I did learn a lesson thru all this however. I had someone replace my filters for me last year (I know, I know, but I was in a hurry and .....) and they had a 2 micron filter installed as the primary. I use 10 micron as the primary. So I'll take the blame.

B

Bob Belvin

Sailing into my slip

In the past two years I have had a clogged filter stop my Yanmar 3GM30 5 times. I have become an expert at sailing into my slip or another dock. I was using a 2 micron filter but now have changed to a 10 micron filter. Dirty fuel was the cause. I have cleaned the fuel tank twice. I hope this will cure the problem.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Bob LOL!!

OK, I'll admit that I was trying to get on your case.:) My sailing buddie with a sister ship used to say the same thing. He was adamant about carrying adequate fuel. Then one day a couple of years ago, he was motoring to Poulsbo WA. Calm wind, narrow, tide affected channel. Yep, one cylinder dropped, then the next, then it stopped. Out came the anchor. He called for a friend to deliver fuel. He couldn't call me because I WAS ALREADY ABOARD! It was so hard not to laugh! But I was able to give him a lesson on bleeding. You probably know the personality type. Everything has a place. Nothing is left to chance. A backup for all possible failures. :) Now he carries a spare can of fuel. No, I still don't let him live it down. But neither do the guys who brought us the fuel. :)

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Oh, I forgot about filters.

I use two micron filters exclusively. I have two tanks. The first filter is before the fuel transfer pump. Fuel is sent to the original fuel tank and then a second 2 micron identical filter takes care of the engine. The engine filter does nothing. I should have eliminated it last fall but replaced it when it was leaking. Brain fart. I hate it when I do that. My setup is explained on my web site starting with photo #48.

R

Richard Wallace

I Also Run Two 2 Micron Filters

I have a 2 micron Racor 500 between the tank and the lift pump, and then run the 2 micron Yanmar filter between the lift pump and the injection pump. My reasoning is two fold. First, the Racor is extremely easy to change so having it plug is not a big deal. Second, during the filter change on the Racor, there is at least some possibilty that some dirty fuel could get past. Then the Yanmar filter can pick that up. My other concession to doing it this way was to install an electric fuel pump after the Racor. If I notice a drop in power which I think is related to fuel, I go and turn the electric pump on to provide extra flow until we get somewhere safe to make a filter change. A secondary benefit is that I can bleed the system by just turning on the electric pump for 10 minutes (4JH2TE which is self bleeding) and we are ready to go.

K

Ken Michaelchuck

One more thing

Bob, I had similar problem with my 1997 376 and found the same issues you did - clogged Racor and clogged screen at bottom of fuel pick-up tube. Cleaning fixed her right up. But I also found that my fuel tank had a second pick up tube that was not connected-just plugged off. It was sticking out of the tank about six inches away from the pickup tube that was connected to the fuel line. The pick up tube is a polymer material and the top of it is a block-type SS elbow screwed into the top of the tank. The tube that Hunter piped in went all the way to the bottom of the tank. The unused pick up tube only went two thirds down. I had a "bright-flash" and went out and bought some fuel tubing and a tee and a few valves and parallel piped my second pick up tube into the system. Now I have a back-up if the original pickup tube screen clogs. I can lift up the seat, take off the wooden cover plate over the tank and open the valve on my second pick-up tube, close the valve on my orig tube and motor. I have left the screens on both tubes. I only run on one tube at a time to keep the other as a back-up. This has worked well for me. Ken

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
dual fuel feeds

I did much the same thing on our 356 after numerous fuel problems on our 29.5-I used the generator pickup (higher in the tank) routed to a separate racor 2 micron and then to a three way valve-the other side of the 3 way connects to the std racor. If the racor primary or the pickup is suspect, a quick flip of the valve switches the engine to a completely redundant system

B

Bob F.

To: Ken

That's a great idea. While I was scrunched down inside the locker pulling the fuel p/u tube I was looking at that 2nd p/u thinking as a worse case I could use that one. Looks like I have another weekend project! BTW, any ideas on how to get the screen off the p/u tube? Only solution I thought of was to try to grab it thru the fuel gauge sending unit hole, but I'm sure it would end up in the bottom of the tank. Any harm in that?

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
fuel pickup screen

well, on my 29.5 we removed the pickup fitting from the tank and cut it off-but it probably won't matter if it's just sitting at the bottom of the tank...

K

Ken Michaelchuck

Fuel Pick Up Screws Out of Tank

Bob, Just a quick note. If I understand your question correctly, you are wondering how to get to the screen at the bottom of the pick-up tube. This is easy. Just disconnect the fuel hose from the top of the pick-up tube. Then turn the whole assembly and unscrew it from the tank. The SS block-type right angle elbow that sits on top of the tank is actually screwed into the tank. It will come out as a full assembly. I left my screen in place. I figured it took almost six years for it to clog and now I just clean it once a year. Of course I have the back up Pick-Up in place now as well. Good luck, Ken

A

AJ

Same problem solved

Use Kathon FP 1.5 I had problems too getting my boat back to the harbor after a day of sailing. Read PDF-file. www.fuelcare.com/kathonfp15brochure.pdf Succes!!

B

brian

If not filters or screens, check fuel line

Bob, The other posts may have solved your problem, if not, do a careful inspection of your fuel lines coming from your tank. I had a small split in the fuel line coming out of the tank that would allow air into the line. The engine would run for a couple minutes and then die. It took some time to find the split, but once I found it and replaced the line, everything was fine. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.