Yanmar parts in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2011
Hunter 1994 40.5 Ponce Inlet FL
Wow.

I'm a happy new Hunter 40.5 owner, and a very unhappy Yanmar owner as I live in FL

It seems Yanmar dealer turfwars prevent any decent dealer with a web portal from selling across imaginary lines.

Called Yanmar, they gave me a dealer that is closed on a Friday and has no website except to show pictures of stuff i couldn't buy online anyway because they are stuck in the stoneage.

Every internet search goes to Torreson. I would love to buy from them but can't. I live in a restricted area.

Has anyone in Florida found an internet portal? I cannot believe it but it seems that i have to talk to someone to order a V belt or an impeller. They will charge me huge margin to do so no doubt.

It's like I'm 14 again, having to go to the Evinrude dealer to have him thumb through paper parts books only to wait a week for parts to arrive at his shop.

Yuk.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes, Yanmar protects their dealer's territories but also require a degree of performance in servicing the customers. Some dealers are better than others but they all will insure that you get the needed parts in an adequate timeframe. The dealer in my area is an industrial parts dealer representing various makes. They do not stock hardly any parts for Yanmar but they have all the catalogues and exploded view diagrams and can get most parts in within a two day timeframe. On occassions they may have to go to Yanmar's warehouse in Chicago for some parts and I have to pay for the shipping but that is not out of the ordinary. I would suggest you give the dealer in your area a chance and I would suspect you may be satisfied. If you encounter a horror story or simply cannot get a particular part then you can always contact Yanmar USA and file your complaint. They will take care of you. Purchasing over the internet has become the preferred way of shopping for an increasing number of folks but perhaps boat parts may not be the best suited items to traffic online. Multiple models and revisions may make it cumbersome. There is no prohibitions from looking at an internet retailer parts catalog and getting parts numbers to double check your dealer's selection. Purchasing maintenance items in sets to be gradually used and reordering before running out assure I always have them available and take away any anxiety about the wait time. In years I have not lost a single day of sailing because I was waiting for parts so I can say their distribution arrangements does not bother me and I don't think about at all.

May 9, 2011
Thanks Rick,

Did that, found a dealer 40 miles away. No website you can order or browse from.
They will ship but have to call and speak with a human.
Maybe I'm too much of a geek to own a Yanmar:)

May 9, 2011
Thanks Benny17441, I will do that.

I am stocking what parts I expect to use a year ahead of time so driving there isn't that big a deal, I just despise the "you can't look at what I'm looking at" mentality that seems to be ingrained in certain verticals like this.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
John Deere

Do you have a John Deere dealer nearby? They may have a lot of the parts you are looking for. For filters, use Baldwin (I have the numbers). For impellers, use this site. Good luck, yea, it is frustrating.

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
check with mastry engine center, I think you can order from them in St. Petersburg.
They are good! they are the distrubutor for the south east and have great parts people. you can get maintance manuals and parts numbers thru them and they will ship to you.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
hunter 33 FWYC
I agree with the statement about turf wars. I am trying to repower my local guy is the most expensive of all the dealers. He said he would not honor the Yanmar warranty if I did not buy from him. I contacted Mastry who assured me the warranty would be covered.

I find working with Yanmar to be very unpleasant experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.