yanmar parts alternative

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
I'm leaking coolant in my y3m20 (about a cup per 45min of running). Removing belt cover and I can clearly see it dripping down the fresh water pump housing coming from behind the pump v-belt pully. Service manual (and parts manual) say pump bearing and seal are not 'service-able' - replace the whole thing.

Pump is on back-order at yanmar supplier. Just looking on the web, I can see exact same part number, listed for yanmar 3ym20 engines (for non marine usages) for a LOT cheaper. From the pics, they look to be identical too.

QUESTION: Haven't checked to see if any of these places have one in stock but wondering, would you all buy the same item from non-marine engine supply?

I know you shouldn't use non marine items like alternators, etc as there could be a fire hazard due to not having spark protection in non marine items...but a water pump???

thanks for any thoughts...
Dave in Charlotte Harbor

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
Ha! I'm saying there are some parts that you truly shouldn't use non marine versions of (like a spark protected alternator). But that kind of reason wouldn't apply to a water pump.

I think all coolant pumps are "spark protected"....!

Dave

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I am sure you can use a third party water pump with no danger. The only problem you may have is that it my not last as long as expected. I would replace it with the 3rd party pump while you are waiting for the OEM pump. Replace it when it starts to leak.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I'd leave the original one in until it comes in. Catch it and reuse. I'd also contact your local Yanmar dealer and ask them to find you one. I bet there is one closer than you think.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Those parts are most likely tractor parts that are a knock-off from China or Malaysia.. I would not hesitate to use one knowing, as Joe said, that it may not last as long.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
sometimes what you think is a knock off is the real thing only the name is changed. Remember Yanmar dose not make their own parts but make the manufacture place their name on it.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i d get the parts diagram for the tractor pump and compare it to the marine pump before messing around . (knowing yan they would not want you to be able to buy a cheap agri pump instead of an expensive marine pump.) i'd try 1/ niemiec marine new bedford MA the yanmar gold dealer then 2/ mack boring's yan east distributor . the recreational engine rep. may be able to source the right one.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I doubt the fresh water pump is non-servicible. It may label as level 2 skill but still can be repaired. Open up and see. There's a YouTube video of a chap servicing the fresh water pump.

Ken Y