yanmar overheat !

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rudy pasantes

I changed the impeller, checked all fluids, oil, water etc.... it still overheats. I can run for a while at 2900rpm then it starts to overheat. any ideas?

M

mark schaefer

start at the back

first check your through hull to see if there is any debis stuck in it..move on to raw water sea strainer....check all hose..squeeze them...do you hear any noise..i found a loose hose clamp once that way..i was also overheating..was allowing air into the system....then there is the heat exchanger..how old is the boat..it could be salted up...good luck ..it can be frustrating...schaefer

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Mixing Elbow

If the check for blockages comes up negative I'd check the mixing elbow for blockage, especially if the overheating problem has manifested itself gradually and not suddenly. If the problem occurred since the coolant was changed then there could be air trapped on top of the thermostat (so this should be bled off so coolant can come in contact with the thermostat).

A

Alex

Mixing elbow..similar happened to my 29.5

I clean it every 2 years .( I probably don't run it long enough..)

T

Tom

mixing elbow

My Hunter 28 did the same thing ... it turned out to be the mixing elbow... it gets blocked with hard crusty deposits... because of the interior chambers it's really hard to clean it out. I ended up buying a new one (about $100.)to save time. The yanmar dealer told me to take the old one to a radiator shop and have it boiled out.

J

Jim O'Brien

Thermostat

I had the same problem. Even though my 2GM is raw water cooled, there is a thermostat. I changed it and it solved the problem immediately. Hope it is that easy for you.

R

rudy p.

thermostat?

can I safely run the yanmar 18hp without the darn thermostat?

J

Jim O'Brien

I wouldn't run without thermostat.

Any diesel runs better when the temperature is constant. Fuel burns better at certain pressure and temp. Besides we're not talking beaucoup $$.

T

Tom

Dilute the Antifreeze!

Try diluting your antifreeze to approx. 50% glycol, 50% water. Also, check water intake valve for clogging, algae, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.