Yanmar Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony

Hi Anyone know of an inexpensive location to get Yanmar Oil Filters ? I have e-mailed several chandelries here in Canada and either not replied or said they do not carry them, only one so far has said they are currently out of stock. Its not that I need one right now but as you know time does fly, and I will definitly need one if we are going to launch in the spring. Tony

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Go to ANY auto parts store ....

If they dont stock an equivalent, they can get them for you. You will need the part number of the Yanmar (private branded) filter and the engine model number. Yanmar doesnt make oil filters; they *buy* them with their name (private label) on them. Go to www.wixfilters.com then go to "products", then "offroad" then "Yanmar" and then list your engine model number, etc. For instance a Yanmar 3QM30 takes a #51568Wix oil filter. Most auto parts stores carry Wix filters. Wix is one of the better automotive filter manufacturers. There are very few 'mills' that make the resinated filter paper that goes into such filters; so, it really doesnt matter which 'brand' you use. Hope this helps.

M

Moe16694

Yanmar does not make filters, any more than Ford or GM. I buy a comparable FRAM filter for $5.00 at Walmart. The filter on my 2GM is the same filter used on small block Chevy's. Go 4 it!

W

Warren Milberg

Use Fram

I used to buy Yanmar oil filters from Torrensen (Marine Diesel Direct), but now buy Fram oil filters in the local discount store for about half the cost. Fram has a "competitor x-ref" chart on the their website to find the right product number. For a Yanmar 2GM20F it's: Fram PH3593A. Cost less than $5 at K-Mart and similar joints.

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY
Do you want to bet?

The thread on whether to use a Yanmar replacement filter or an OEM filter has been going on for years on the Hunter Owners Web. The difference in cost is less than $5 between filters. I seem to remember that the oil system is under higher pressure in the Yanmar, and their filter is made to handle it where the OEM filters are not. I cannot confirm or deny this but say why take a chance for $5. Your original question was where to buy. I have purchased from Torrensen in the past with good results. I do not know how much they charge to ship to Canada from Michigan. Check their web site at link below for details. I purchase my Yanmar filters here at Shumway Marine. Let me know if you want me to pick one up and send to you.

T

Tony

Yanmar v A n other

Thanks Ken, Will you be going to Toronto boat Show ? Thanks also to the others who have responded, however I have seen more than one demo showing cut down oil filters and compared with Yanmar branded. There is a difference and for a few $ more I'm not willing to risk a problem, engines are a pretty expensive item. Tony W

P

Pete

"Yanmar" filters

Here we go again. As one of the posters said, who do you think makes the "Yanmar" oil filter? It ain't Yanmar. Like who makes "Hess" gasoline? Some years ago on a previous boat I had just bought, I decided to change the oil and filter. I took off the silver "Yanmar" filter and replaced it with a Fram. I took the "Yanmar" filter home. Some time later, I decided to scrape some of the silver paint off of it. Guess what color it was under the silver paint? Right. Fram orange. For those who think Yanmar filters are "better," think about the orders of magnitude more vehicles out there using Fram filters. I have never heard of a case where an engine problem was traced to a faulty Fram filter. If anyone has facts of this happening, rather than anecdotes, please post them.

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY
Tony...

At this point in time I would say that we are not going to make it to the Toronto Boat Show.:(

P

Peter

Filters

Hi Tony I suspect that you have already tried E&C Marine. However, if not they recently moved to Carlaw - 416 363 7770. Good to see you at the boat show. Good luck with all the surgury. P

TonyW

May 16, 2004
Hunter 41 Trident Yacht Club
Found at good $

Hi all I have in my little hand 4 Yanmar Oil filters. Obtained illegaly ( acording to Yanmar) at the great price of CDN$11.35 each del. The cheapest I could find them in Canada was CDN$ 22.93 inc Tx ex post/packing. So at just less than half price I belive that was a good deal ! Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.