Yanmar oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Mowery

Recently I returned from a 2 1/2 week cruise in my 1980 H33, putting 40 hours on the engine. During that time, the Yanmar 2QM15 engine used a half quart of oil. It's total capacity is 2 quarts. I've read that it's normal for a diesel engine to use oil, but does that sound in the normal range for an engine of that size and age?

D

David Foster

Quite Good

Our '77 1sb Yanmar uses very little oil, unless we push it (to 5 knots for instance.) Then it will use oil at a much higher rate. I think this is caused by the prop shft vibration that becomes dominant at 5 knots - but I'm not sure. David

J

J. Tesoriero

Oil consumption

We have a 2QM15 in our 1980 Hunter 30. It burns very little oil throughout the season but I may have to add maybe 1/4 -1/3 Qt at the end of the season, especially when the oil gets dirty. The engine oil capacity is more like three quarts, especially with a new filter.

G

georgelakesiii

What kind of oil

If you are using automobile engine oil, stop yesterday. Replace with Chevron delo 400 or Shell rotella diesel oil. I use Chevron 15-40 with great success. I change the oil every 50 hrs. or once a year. If you idle the engine long periods of time you will dilute the oil with unburned diesel which over time will wear out your bearings. Diesel, especially bio diesel are excellent solvents and will keep the inside of the engine clean but will cause high wear if diluted. Putting a little in an engine before over haul will make it easier to clean but can't be run under a load. You should run it hard for at least 10 minutes every time you operate it to bring it up to temp to get rid of any moisture/condensation in the oil to limit the oxidation of the oil, which causes corrosion. As a past mechanic, it kills me to see how so many abuse their engines and wonder why they have problems with so few hours on the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.