Yanmar Motor Mounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2004
Hunter 27_75-84 Lexington, NC
I have a recent problem with my motor vibrating rather violently when first putting it in gear. By kicking it back out, or coordinating the throttle, I get it to go away and, upon reflection, I realize that it is probably a broken motor mount. As I am 3-1/2 hours away from the boat, I was hoping someone could tell me where to buy replacement mounts. Are they a Yanmar piece, or can I just buy some type of a "lord mount" from McMaster Carr. If it is a McMaster Carr piece, what dimensions to I need? Size of grommet, bolt size, etc. If anyone could help me out before I go out next week I would appreciate it. It will certainly enable me to fix it before I take off for for the week. Thanks

Attachments

M

Mark Smith

They are yanmar Mounts

But you might want to check the alignment of your shaft or clean your prop

tmason

Jun 11, 2004
Hunter 27 Cherubini Middle River
You'll need a part no.

Torresen Marine told me that Hunter used two types of mounts: notsoexpensive and ohmygod. (Torresen is at www.marinedieseldirect.com) They told me how to read a part no. stenciled on the mount. I think the DF100 is the reasonable one http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=75045F but don't hold me to it. These mounts aren't likely to break. I had one that worked loose, because the mount had worn its way into the gelcoat. Also check the rubber for deterioration, which can throw the alignment out of whack.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
Similar problem ...

I have a similar situation. I will get a real banging around when idling, or returning the engine to idle (unrelated to being in gear or not). I believe that my problem is that as the shaft exits the boat (the log), it is not centered, but rather close to the bottom of the log fitting. When the engine is returned to a idle, or running a little rough after starting, it has rather large vibrations (quite normal if you look at the vibration graphs). I think the noise I then get is the shaft banging against the log and thus resonating through the boat. My speculation is that either the motor is quite badly aligned (just got the boat this spring, and haven't aligned it yet), or that the old mounts have deteriorated and sagged a little (one mount appears to be shedding rubber flakes), which of course will screw up the alignment. I also get premature wear on the cutlass bearing, so something is out of wack. So, my plan it to start by doing an alignment where I start with the shaft properly centered in the log hole, and then following through with a normal alignment process. New mounts may also be in order, but they're expensive (Yanmar or otherwise), so I'll try an alignment first. Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.