Yanmar hand crank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ian Cameron

Some time ago there was a thread about hand cranking the Yanmar - the general thrust was that it isn't very easy with the larger engines. I have two cylinder model, and I ride a Yamaha SR 500 motorcycle, a 500 cc bike with no electric start. With a compression release and an indicator to tell me when the piston is at TDC, it kicks easily and starts on the first or second kick. It seems to me that I should be able to start the Yanmar the same way. Anyone done this? Know about a kit? Any thoughts? Comments on hand starting the 2 cylinder models? Source of crank and pulley adapter? Many thanks. Ian Cameron

J

Jim Maroldo

Yanmar

Isn't the Yanmar a diesel engine? It's probably alot larger displacement than your motorcycle, and the bike has a large lever with gear reduction that you can throw your entire body weight onto! At least for those that I've seen, the Yanmar only has a cog nut on the end of the crankshaft, and you have to bend over the engine inside the cabin. Not much room to move around, and if that baby kicks back on you, you could break something! The cog releases when the engine turns forward, NOT if it kicks backwards! Diesels have much higher compression ratios than gas engines, and thus produce a great amount of torque. I once had a 750 Norton, and occasionally it would kick back and throw me up in the air a bit ( well, I only weighed 150 lbs at the time!). I don't think that I'd want to try that with a diesel!

K

Kenneth Pfaff

Recent dicussion on CWBB

There was a recent dicussion of this on the CWBB, and for the most part it is either very difficult or just plane impossible to hand crank a desiel engine. First you have to release the compression value, use the hand crank to the the engine spinning very fast, and then engage on of the compression levers and see if the engine will kick over. The CWBB discussion basically said that you couldn't spin the engine fast enough to do this.

L

Les Blackwell

I once had a dead Yanmar

We went cruising with friends who didn't understand we were on batteries and left lights on. And they had to be home to our port at a specific time to go somewhere else. When I went to start the Yanmar, it went click. Nothing more. No even a grunt. So we hoisted sail and of course it was a light air day. While they tried to sail I tried to crank the Yanmar. I could turn it over but not near enough speed to get it going. My dear wife said, "why don't you throw the compressors off and I'll start the engine with the battery." Naturally, I said something like, "What a dumb idea, the batteries are dead. They went click." But as husbands know, you have to humor your wife, so we gave it a try. By gosh, the engine turned over at a fast speed and I was able to throw one compressor, then the second and finally the third and the engine was running. We got home on time although I did have egg all over my face. Apparently, ther was enough "juice" in the battery to get the motor spinning without the compressors. I forgot what I bought her.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
sometimes they know more than you think they do.

Les: I have done exactly the some thing. The only difference was that my wife was not aboard to suggest this option. I had to figure it out myself. My experience indicates to me that it takes very little power to start these diesels. The exception to this may be if the whether is cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.