Yanmar Fuel Filter Removal . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
For those who have replaced their secondary filter, which way does the ring turn to loosen? I hope to replace ours this weekend . . . .

My apologies. I found the info online . .

It appears from the diagram that the threads are on the body of the filter housing - not the bowl and that the ring slips up the bowl and turns CW looking from below or CCW if looking from above.
THX

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
If you mean the little orange juice can sized filter right on the engine - counter-clock-wise as viewed from above. You might need to put a screw driver blade in one of the notches of the ring and tap it with a wrench to get it started.

Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
Righty tighty, lefty loosey as most all threads. It shouldn't be REAL tight. Big thing is to fill bottom part of housing at least 1/2 full or more before re-tightening. Also, look at how old filter is attached...there IS a top and bottom...and you want to press fit it onto the inlet it attaches it to in the TOP of the filter, then raise bowl and tightening ring up and re-tighten. Do NOT put filter in bowl portion of housing and try to re-tighten. If you are messing with primary AND secondary...I always change primary 1st, start engine and let run just a few minutes, then change secondary, start and run. Done properly, you shouldn't have to bleed.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Honeyman wrote:

"I always change primary 1st, start engine and let run just a few minutes, then change secondary, start and run. Done properly, you shouldn't have to bleed."

Great idea, I am going to try this on my next change, as an old drag racer I always hate to change a bunch of stuff and expect it all to work correctly...or run the same way it did prior

Thanks

Paul S

Jun 3, 2004
- - Boston
Righty tighty, lefty loosey as most all threads. It shouldn't be REAL tight.
X2

dont forget to change the o-ring. There is a part number for it and it is not usually included with the filter!!

Got a electric lift pump for our 3GM30. pretty easy to bleed. open the bleeder, apply 12v to the pump til diesel comes out of the bleeder. I know its cheating.. but it works :) better than the silly thumb manual pump

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
X2

dont forget to change the o-ring. There is a part number for it and it is not usually included with the filter!!

Got a electric lift pump for our 3GM30. pretty easy to bleed. open the bleeder, apply 12v to the pump til diesel comes out of the bleeder. I know its cheating.. but it works :) better than the silly thumb manual pump
Paul, did you bypass the lift pump or just add it in line? I take that it has sufficient flow through it when not powered correct?

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
You could just apply power to the pump for bleedig and use the mechanical pump to run the engine or you could remove the mechanical pump from the circuit entirely. The benefit of removal is that when the diaphram of the mechanical pump fails it dumps diesel into the crankcase. If you're not aware it happened it could cost you an engine. If the electrical pump fails the worst that could happen is the engine shuts off. Take your pick.

May 9, 2006
Beneteau 373 Mystic, CT
Two additional points:
1. Be careful not to over tighten the central bleed screw on the top of the secondary filter. it only has to be loosened about 1/4 turn to bleed, and gently tighten once air bubbles stop.
2. Most Yanmars of any age have a manual lever at the bottom of the fuel pump which may be used to bleed the secondary filter. Be sure to use complete upstrokes.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Ok, I just learned something new ...

Press-fit the filter? Last year when I replaced the filter, I just inserted it into the bowl and screwed it in. I did not notice a top and bottom. I had problems with the filter bowl loosening (the manual says it only needs to be hand-tight) and leaking fuel. I finally got it tightened to the point where it doesn't leak and haven't touched it since. Were my problems related?

I second what Bob said about overtightening the bleed screw. I learned that the hard way ... they strip easily and then you will have fuel bleeding all over the engine compartment on your way to the slip or mooring!

Jul 27, 2009
Hunter 1981 30 Lake Travis
Scott on my Yanmar 2Qm15 the filter has a hole on the top that fits over an inlet, the bottom doesn't have any openings. If you don't center the filter it will compress and not fit over the inlet. Also if you don't replace teh oring the bowel may leak. The 1st time I replaced mine the PO had left 2 orings in the groove, which caused weapage that he complained about. After digging them out and putting in a new one my issues were gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.