Yanmar Fires Up On Clipper Marine 32 Aft Cabin Ketch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Some may remember me purchasing a boat sight unseen a month ago in LA. . Hired a surveyor to go over her. He said the engine was not locked up. He was half right.

The engine repairs were finished today, and it turns out a rusted exhaust piece fell into the cylinder. They were able to get it corrected and the exhaust repaired. Runs great. Hope to splash soon, after her wet sand and buff job. She also gets two coats of micron ultimate bottom paint.

Clean up going nicely.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Three years. All fluids changed it was owned by a bank president that had no problems spending money on her maintance. While in storage the exhaust cooler elbow fell to pieces from rust and a small piece fell inside the engine. That and needing bottom paint is her only needs except cleaning. .

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i had one of those once. you may want to check the aluminum pop rivets which hold the hull and deck together.. they fail. be safe.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
zeehag said:
i had one of those once. you may want to check the aluminum pop rivets which hold the hull and deck together.. they fail. be safe.
You had a CM 32? Or you had a smaller CM?

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
tkanzler said:
How close are you to splashing her?
She is getting a wet sanding and polish then she gets a bottom paint with micron ultimate Then we splash.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
i had a 30.
was some kind of different boat--not sturdy for ocean work. better for lakes and inland waterways. the 32 has an aft cabin, 30 does not.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
There is a line of differentiation between the smaller CM's, the 21,23,26 and then it takes a step towards an ocean vessel, but falling short, in the 30. Not till you get to the 32's do you see heavier constriction and rigging. The two halves are bolted together in the 32's is six places that I know off.

I almost purchased a 30, and I am grateful I did not on several levels.

The 32 was made in a sloop, and an aft cabin, and the aft cabin could be ordered as a ketch. I own both a 32 sloop and a 32 ketch.

If you want a sailboat to also double as a motor home to go down the highway to anywhere, the Clipper Marine 32 sloop or better yet, aft cabin is a great choice. One of the few choices in a big sailboat that is highway legal anywhere.

Next year, we will be adding a swim platform / deck to make it a little longer and easier to board on her 6 wheel trailer land for swimming.

I want to spend a season on the water / slip to make sure I will be adding something just the way I want it.

Posts all over the Internet like yours where people are warned to stay away from CM's, is why I was able to purchase them so attractively priced. Thank You!

Attachments

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
i did not say to stay away--i asked you to think of your safety and check the aluminum pop rivets i KNOW are what hold the hull and deck together. yes i HAVE seen and surveyed a 32. thankyou. the mast is the SAME lightweight thing as the 30 has.
btw--was uscg that has the record for stating these boats are "unsafe in any waters".
is your choice-i am not panning your boat. they are cute lil lake boats. have fun and BE SAFE.
saying i am the one pannig cm is like saying YOU are the sole reason formosas are in possession of a bad reputation. smooth sailing.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Everything you just said is a LOL

Not so much what you said, but the looking down your nose way you are saying it.

I will comment on one thing you said, and that is the masts are the same. OREALLY?

The masts on Clipper Marines could be ordered in several weights and lengths. One of my 32's has what they call a Tall Rig. It is 10% longer, and much stouter in both mast and boom.

As both my masts are different, from the factory, how is it possible you are correct in saying all the masts are the same??? The two CM's I own, prove you are 100% wrong.

I challenge your notion that the coast guard stated Clipper Marine sailboats are unsafe. I feel your statement is untrue. Show us all where the Coast Guard says any such thing.

The cute remark is 100% uncalled for.

(edit) Thank you Phil for the Ignore feature. Makes it a lot easier to build a positive community by filtering. You have a very nice site here, thanks for supplying us a forum.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Everybody take a deep breath, folks. You're entitled to post your opinions, good or bad, but let's be careful to state them without personal attacks. Thank you.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
heh, heh........... Karen, welcome to the club.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
i love i twhen folks do not heed the official printed words of 3 sources, but that is all up to the purchasors whimsy.. they are cute lil lake boats. please check your hull to deck connexion--is all i said in fist place. why does everyone get befouled by not reading words and making up meanings therein...is only in the eye of the reader and hypersensitivities of the owners. panning was not done. if i wanted to pan it i would place quotes and source notes. is nice to see someone very pleased with a boat purchase. doesnt matter what kind it is--just make sure the hull to deck connections are solid. sheeeesh.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
i love i twhen folks do not heed the official printed words of 3 sources, but that is all up to the purchasors whimsy.. they are cute lil lake boats. please check your hull to deck connexion--is all i said in fist place. why does everyone get befouled by not reading words and making up meanings therein...is only in the eye of the reader and hypersensitivities of the owners. panning was not done. if i wanted to pan it i would place quotes and source notes. is nice to see someone very pleased with a boat purchase. doesnt matter what kind it is--just make sure the hull to deck connections are solid. sheeeesh.
Karen.... stay calm... everyone else knows you are a good person..... and.. how valuable your experience has been to the readers here all these years. Your comments were appropriate and well intentioned. Check your PM mailbox.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Been out on the lake twice in the 10 days Sugar Bee has been docked. Much is going on with her. She is getting an interior face lift. New paint, lots of teek oil, and new cushions. Replaced stanchions from a single safety line to two safety lines. The old stanchions went straight up and made it hard to walk the lower deck to the bow. These lean in and you walk on the outside of the safety line going on the outside of the rigging. Will make it easier to walk around the boat while heeling. The lower safety line I am using LED solar rope lights. These will help set my boat in people's minds so hopefully no one runs us over on the lake. 27 Catalina almost sunk by a drunk speed boat already this year.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.