Yanmar & Ficher Pamda corrosion & water leaks

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
I have a Hunter 49, 2008 Model with a Ficher Panda (1500hrs) 12KVA and a Yanmar 4JH4-HTE 3000 Hrs. The yacht has done about 25000nm.

The Ficher Panda chews through the water/exhaust mixer at the rate of about 1 every 500 hrs., so yep I'm on my third. Ficher Panda have been very good an always sent me one free (excluding freight). It is made of cast alloy, and I am about to trying making the net one out of stainless. I had thought this was just a weak point in the genset. Ficher panda factory advised me they have seen this before, but could never work out what the cause was, and it seems to effect one every few hundred. So that's me. They are suspicious that the problem is electrolyses where the water inside the mixer hits the exaust mixer body and that there water has some sort of voltage on it thus cause it to burn through the mixer. The others did not burn through in the same place, so that theory does not hold water just like the mixer

All the measure my be and so called experts could not find any stray current.

How ever now my Yanmar seems have developed a similar un explainable issue. Last year at the back end of the heat exchanger something began to eat away at the outside rear section where the flange is. It was pitting for no reason I could see. Scraping it with a screw driver it was semi crystalline and I could quite easily scap the first 1/8 ' of alloy off before it finally became hard and solid. The Yanmar guy came and feared a large bill but he simply painted what looked like original Yanmar grey and it all stopped, and has been fine for over a year now. Two weeks ago the front end of the heat exchanger/intercooler started to leak. There is round dished cap with three bolts right at the front just behind the Alternator bracket. I attempted to remove the cap figuring the gasket was gone or something. But 2 days later, 3 Allen keys later, one new impact driver, motor hot nothing was going to budget the bolt. It was only a drip and it appeared to be coming out of the bolt itself, so I filled all around it temporarily. You can see this in the pictures. zoom in.

Today I discover it is actually spray out now a fine jet (see yellow circle) of water clean through the casting with no visible sign of corrosion on the outside giving me the impression it is now only paper thin and will collapse at any moment. I am in Thailand so it will need to hold together for the next 100nm Phuket. So am not game to poke at it, just now.

IS ANYONE ELSE SEEING CORRISIVE ACTIVITY LIKE THIS.

Attachments

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I have a similar Yanmar engine in my Hunter 41 with less hours. There is no corrosive activity on it as you explain. I think the problem on your Fischer Panda is common. Please be aware that there are many alloys of stainless steel with different levels of corrosion resistance. I think fabricating a new exhaust elbow out of cupro nickel would be a better choice, if that's possible. You can contact Marine Manifold in Farmingdale, NY to see if they can help (Paul@MarineManifoldCorp.com).