yanmar engine removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2006
NULL hunter 33 lake charles
i am removing and rebuilding an original yanmar 2gm. any suggestions relating to removal procedure. also, does anyone have experience with replacing with a larger engine?

J

Joseph Rheubeck

Not too bad a job

I just got done removing a 2GM and installing a 2GM20F. You will need to dismantle the Nav Table, although IF you are careful you can leave the top forward piece that the "desk" slides on in place. Then you just open the port and put one end a piece of 1 1/2 pipe onto a large block of wood in the cockpit put a couple of 2 x4's on edge at the forward edge of the companionway hatch opening and hang the other end of the pipe from them. This gives you a rail to lift the engine from and slide it forward . Then you just tie the end of the main halyard around the boom at a point above where the engine is, attach the main sheet to the boom next to the halyard, hook it to the engine an hoist away. Then you can swing it over the side and lower away. Then as all the instruction manuals say " Reassemble in reverse order of disassembly". It's really not a bad job, it took about an hour and a half from start to engine on the ground. If you need more info contact me off list.

D

Don

Engine removal

There was a posting about a year ago where the 2GM was replaced with a 3GM. Apparently the engine mount position is the same. The 3GM protruded forward a few inches, requiring moving the battery bank. beyond that it went right in. Talking to the folks in the yard, it shouldn't be to hard to do.

E

ed

a larger engine

A larger engine will cost more, burn more fuel and not give you much in added performance/ the 20 will push the boat easily at hull speed, unless your towing somebody arround it wont help much. imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.