Yanmar Engine Life???

Oct 24, 2020
Hunter 40.5 Chesapeake Bay
I am looking at a Hunter 40.5 with a Yanmar 4JH2E. The boat meets my requirements although a bit overpriced IMHO. The biggest concern is the number of hours on the engine. I don't know the expected life of a marine engine but have driven diesel powered trucks over 150,000 with no troubles. This engine has 2020 hours on the meter. Should I be concerned about the hours in an otherwise well maintained boat?
I would ask for a marine engine inspection as part of the pre-buy in addition to the usual survey.
Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Jeff

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
To put yourself at rest, get a mechanical survey from a marine diesel mechanic. That is a good idea regardless. FWIW, the Yanmar on my 40.5 has 2800+ hours on it and I believe it's good for double or triple that. Good luck. (As to the "overpriced", that is the least expense you will encounter over the next 20 years :cool::))

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Diesels run a very long time with routine maintenance. I have the smaller sibling to your engine, a 3JH2E that is 27 years old, still runs fine. The only repair has been to replace the fuel hoses, after 27 years they were failing.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
In my opinion “No”, but that is solely based on my 30-year old Yanmar 2GM20. the engine has about 1965 hours on the meter. I have only owned the boat for 6 years. The engine runs good, no smoke, no leaks, starts great, etc.

BUT, I can think of a few caveats:
1) Salt or fresh water Boat? I am in fresh water, so that could mean less “wear and tear” on other parts of the system (HX, exhaust, etc.)

2) Can you get maintenance records from the seller? That would indicate and show some proof that the engine was maintained properly.

3) If you could get a compression check, that may also help verify the integrity of the cylinders, rings, valves, etc.

Like you, I believe diesel truck engines will outlast the bodies, and I think marine diesels are not much different. But some of the support systems could fail, or of the engine wasn’t maintained (or overheated, or run with low oil, etc), those could shorten it’s life.

i thought aI read that 4,000 hours is not uncommon, so I am hoping my 2GM20F is only half way through its useful life....I hauled out yesterday and after changing the oil, I noticed I put about 25 hours on the motor over the course of the 2020 season! At that rate, I will be dead and gone before the boat needs to be repowered :huh:

Hopefully some diesel mechanics or experts will chime in.

Greg

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Our last genset engine was running fine at 18,000 hours plus, but we were having some trouble with little things like freeze plugs and as a charter boat we couldn't have a break down because of a $4.00 part.
2000 hours is a nearly new diesel, IMO. Do a compression test and send the oil out to a lab, and that should give you a good idea of what shape it is in.
But do remember, the more you use mechanical equipment, the happier it is.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
If its been maintained, its barely broken in! Maintain it, run it and enjoy it.

If you're lucky it has the bronze exhaust elbow. I called HDI about a replacement SS elbow and they said to check to see if its bronze first, my 4JH2E does. They said the bronze lasts as long as the SS? Just going on their advice.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Excellent advice above including the suggestion for oil analysis. If this engine was properly maintained with regular oil and filter changes, it's still a baby. These engines can run 9 or 10k hours without any sort of rebuild. But that's assuming you keep it well maintained. You don't say what year the engine and boat is, but I still think 2k hours is nuttin'

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A well maintained Yanmar turbo charged engine should be good for 10,000-15,000 hours.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
A well maintained Yanmar turbo charged engine should be good for 10,000-15,000 hours.
It's probably not a turbo charged Yanmar but the regular 50HP version. That being said, there is no reason a non-turbo version should not last just as long and there is no potential for turbo failure. The 50 HP is well suited for the size of the 40.5.

Oct 24, 2020
Hunter 40.5 Chesapeake Bay
Thanks for the information and advice. Didn't consider the oil analysis but will do it. Thanks and will post if we pull the trigger.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
In my opinion “No”, but that is solely based on my 30-year old Yanmar 2GM20. the engine has about 1965 hours on the meter. I have only owned the boat for 6 years. The engine runs good, no smoke, no leaks, starts great, etc.

BUT, I can think of a few caveats:
1) Salt or fresh water Boat? I am in fresh water, so that could mean less “wear and tear” on other parts of the system (HX, exhaust, etc.)

2) Can you get maintenance records from the seller? That would indicate and show some proof that the engine was maintained properly.

3) If you could get a compression check, that may also help verify the integrity of the cylinders, rings, valves, etc.

Like you, I believe diesel truck engines will outlast the bodies, and I think marine diesels are not much different. But some of the support systems could fail, or of the engine wasn’t maintained (or overheated, or run with low oil, etc), those could shorten it’s life.

i thought aI read that 4,000 hours is not uncommon, so I am hoping my 2GM20F is only half way through its useful life....I hauled out yesterday and after changing the oil, I noticed I put about 25 hours on the motor over the course of the 2020 season! At that rate, I will be dead and gone before the boat needs to be repowered :huh:

Hopefully some diesel mechanics or experts will chime in.

Greg
Greg, did your 322 come with the engine hour meter? Mine did not, and at this point I don't think it's worth adding one...

Mickey D

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Greg, did your 322 come with the engine hour meter? Mine did not, and at this point I don't think it's worth adding one...

Mickey D
Mine has one mounted in the lazzerette. I guess I can’t vouch for if it was installed when new or added later...looks like a PO add.

I just started recording my hours each trip...mostly to calculate fuel usage. About 15 minutes out and 15 minutes back in...if I am lucky and the winds hold out...I think I put about 25 hours on it this year (motored back a few times from a few miles out).

Greg

Apr 25, 2012
Catalina 400 Key West, FL
in 2001, I remember diesel guru Larry Berlin at Mack Boring in North Jersey, tell my new boat owner class that Yanmar diesels were designed for 10,000 hours. So 20 years later, my 4JH3E has 5707 hours. Along the way, I've replaced: water hoses & hose clamps, 5 exhaust elbows, 6 drive belts, coolant flushes, oil press sending unit, retorqued cylinder head bolts, adjusted valves and replacrd valve cover gaskets, cleaned Heat Exchanger, replaced fuel injection pipes, a dozen impellers and dozens of oil and fuel filters. She's still running strong but expect raw water and fresh water pumps will go sooner than later...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Andersonelli
I would not have any concern about an engine with only 2000hrs. It probably has not yet been broken in. It is like Grandmama's car that has been in the garage and only driven a couple of miles to church on Sunday.

I would be more concerned with the sails, the hull, the space in the boat, whether you like the lines. Do you feel the boat will be a good extension of you? Will the boat provide the vehicle to take you to the dreams you have? Will you have the money to keep the boat in a marina? Are you willing to spend the money being asked to have the dreams of boating that you envision?

The engine is just a means to go sailing. You can figure that out.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I installed an hour meter so I could keep track of maintenance intervals. The original hours will never be known and aren't needed anyway.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our 1991 4JH2-TE has a bit over 2,000 hours with very low maintenance. Strong, no smoke and smooth running. Should be good for another 8,000 plus hours of use. As one poster said, just broken in.