Yanmar engine gauges vs warning lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patman

I have a Yanmar ysm12 with the warning lights for oil pressure, water temp. I want to replace these with gauges so can I use the present wiring that are on the sensors? Also, how about using automotive gauges? Also a tach would have to be hooked into the transmisson, right? Thanks

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
guages

patman, most of the automotive guages I have seen are mechanical, not electrical so you will not be able to use the same wiring harness. What you might want to do is to use the guages with an adapter that would leave the lights and alarm buzzer working also. Biggest problem with the automotive guages may be finding a metric adapter, although with the influx of foreign cars, might not be a big problem. You can also get the guages and sending units direct from Yanmar, or a marine supply, which might let you use the same harness and wiring.

Feb 4, 2005
Catalina C-30 Mattituck, NY
Leave the lights

I have a YSM12 on my Catalina 30 and when I bought the boat had the engine pulled for a complete rebuild. When I reinstalled her, I also put in a new panel with gauges instead of the warning lights (for the temp. only). I would recommend either leaving the lights intact somehow with an adapter kit (if they make one - I was not aware they did) or just leave the set-up the way it is. Without the light and warning system, I am constantly checking to make sure she is not running hot. The panel is mounted low in the cockpit too so it’s a pain sometimes. I then installed a water-flow sensor with an alarm which goes off when the flow of water through the raw water lines slows - indicating a blockage. This made it easier to not need a constant watch on the temp gauge. The lights and buzzer system are not bad- especially considering how simple the YSM12 engine really is.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Tee IT

Like already said it is always a good thing to have the alarm working because you can't always be watching the gauge especially when some thing does go wrong and it will and you will not be watching. I did add gauges to my 2001 yanmar 2GM20F and left the alarms hooked up with the gauges working. I used a tee for the temp sending unit and ran seperate wires,you need to check the threads going into the temp unit. I also did the same thing on the oil pressure unit and used a tee but the oil pressure sending unit was so big and heavy it failed and snapped the tee less than a year after install,I left the temp gauge hooked up but did away with the oil pressure gauge. The temp gauge is the thing that was needed and I always changed and checked the oil so was not needed. Do a search in the archives and you will find a fellow that did this and sent me photo's and all the info about adding gauges,all yanmars are different. Nick

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Digital gauges

Last year I changed out my water temp warning light with a CruzPro T-30 digital temp gauge. The gauge has an alarm feature that you can set so you have both temp readings and alarm. I used a Telflex temp sender that fit the same size and location as the original sender. I was able to use the original wiring and just has to switch the wire from the warning light to the new gauge.

C

Carlos de Zayas

Take you up on that...

... if it's not too much trouble. Could you please send it to cdzwin@bellsouth.net? Thank you.

MKing

May 31, 2005
Beneteau 343 Ten Mile TN
Marybeth & Rip

I would value a copy of the installation instructions also ... carbizguy@hotmail.com Thanks and have a great day!

Jun 3, 2004
Adding Gauges To Yanmar

I noticed today my name was mentioned in this post. Several years ago I added oil pressure and water temp gauges to my 2GM20F and kept the alarm operational. I wrote instructions and took pictures. If anyone is interested send me your address and I will mail it to you. I can be contacted through Owner Directory. Would you believe I have sent my material to 61 Yanmar owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.