Yanmar engine console - yuck

Oct 28, 2021
Beneteau 323 Wiarton
Our Beneteau 323 has a Yanmar 3YM20 and the engine console looks awful - perhaps repainted at some point in the past and cracked in the top right corner. I was quoted $922.32 CDN for replacement by the marina. I ordered the black sticker faceplate on Ebay, so it's just the white (yellow?) console. Any suggestions/advice?

Attachments

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
You could sand it down to remove all the old paint, repair the crack (Kitty Hair would work) and repaint it with plastic compatible spray paint (Rustoleum, Behr etc.) - it would look like new.

Oct 28, 2021
Beneteau 323 Wiarton
You could sand it down to remove all the old paint, repair the crack (Kitty Hair would work) and repaint it with plastic compatible spray paint (Rustoleum, Behr etc.) - it would look like new.
This is the suggestion I needed, especially with the Kitty Hair idea. Thank you!

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I have the 3GM30F and ordered the faceplate only. Swapped in the instruments and switches. Looks much improved. I don't recall the cost of the faceplate but it was under $100.

Oct 28, 2021
Beneteau 323 Wiarton
I have the 3GM30F and ordered the faceplate only. Swapped in the instruments and switches. Looks much improved. I don't recall the cost of the faceplate but it was under $100.
Interesting. By faceplate you mean the entire white panel? Or the black yanmar rectangular sticker part? Where did you buy from?

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I mdight have misread your post. The black instrument bezel is a Yanmar part. Is that the part you got from Ebay? And the white fiberglass surround is $922?

Repairing or replacing the surround is doable though it will take some effort. Check out Boatworks Today on YouTube. Andy walks through the process in one of his videos.

• Helpful
Oct 28, 2021
Beneteau 323 Wiarton
I have the black yanmar faceplate (eBay $75) but need to repair/replace the $922 white console. Will check the videos. Thanks!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
so it's just the white (yellow?) console. Any suggestions/advice?
Sand it, repair crack at upper left, prime with 2part epoxy, and top coat with 2part epoxy. I did same with fixed port light trim over 10 years ago and still holding up well. Would be easier if you could remove the trim; however, if it is adhered too tightly, may have to mask it and refinish in place.

Oct 28, 2021
Beneteau 323 Wiarton
Sand it, repair crack at upper left, prime with 2part epoxy, and top coat with 2part epoxy. I did same with fixed port light trim over 10 years ago and still holding up well. Would be easier if you could remove the trim; however, if it is adhered too tightly, may have to mask it and refinish in place.
Do you recommend a “2part epoxy primer” for both priming and top coat? You use a brush to apply? I was thinking of fusion all in one - what do you think?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Do you recommend a “2part epoxy primer” for both priming and top coat? You use a brush to apply? I was thinking of fusion all in one - what do you think?
I used fusion spray paint on a deck mounted acrylic lens almost two years ago and it’s starting to deteriorate. Meanwhile, the lens trim painted with two part epoxy primer and two part epoxy top coat is holding up very well after 10 years. Only downside of epoxy is that it was very expensive for the primer, topcoat, & thinner. I sprayed it with a Prevail sprayer, but brushing would probably have been fine.