Yanmar Engine 1979

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy Sherman

I have the original yanmar 8hp engine in my 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter. I had it overhauled in 1993 however it is showing signs now of salt seeping through all the gaskets on the engine block, however it still starts up the first time and still runs good, but I don't know how much longer she will last (you know about Murphy's law). My boat has always been in saltwater. I am thinking of replacing the engine with a new larger engine (I'm think 18hp). Has anyone out there did this recently and if so did you run into any major problems like reglassing the engine compartment, shaft, prop, or coupling replacement. I would appreciate any advice you could give on this. Thanks: Randy

C

Carl Foster

Engine upgrade

I am assuming when you say 18hp you are talking 2GM20 Yanmar. I did this change over[but not recently] and it is a very straight forward and reasonably easy job. All the controls, plumbing and electrical hookups are in basically the same locations. The controls have to be replaced with single lever unit, shaft can be reused altho i replaced with stainless shaft. Mastry, Yanmar dist recomends 13x10 three blade sailor profile which works out fine. The improvement in performance has to be experienced to believe. Any details $Email me at qldman36@msn.com

Status
Not open for further replies.