yanmar diesel in a beneteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnydvr

Jan 26, 2009
caravell 20 nj
does anyone know if you need a puller to remove the injectors on a 2gm20 motor are will they come out without one? thanks

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
What does the book say?

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
Use penetrating oil to losen them. On my little yanmar, my injector just slides in the head and has a copper washer to seal it. However it took a 4' cheater pipe to break it free. I thought it was threaded at first but it is just a smooth cylinder. Whatever it is using penetrating oil will make the task easier.

Sep 25, 2008
And I second what Ross says you should absolutely have the book for your engine.

mnydvr

Jan 26, 2009
caravell 20 nj
I got the book guys and I was just trying to ask a simple question,you are not getting a 4' anything in there and all it took was a tap to get them out and for future advise,they DO make a puller if you need it.Any body need a book for a 2GM 20,I didn't realize,I have 2!Thanks for the help boyz!:cussing:

Sep 25, 2008
Your question was a little ambiguous. I didn't know if you were asking if a puller was available or if you could do the job with out using a puller, which you knew was available. Anyway, how would we be able to determine if your injectors were loose enough to remove them with out a puller? I am going to guess that some are loose enough and some are not. But not even the designer of the engine could tell you about the corrosion on your specific injectors.
I had the engine pulled and the head in a vise otherwise my injector was not coming loose.

mnydvr

Jan 26, 2009
caravell 20 nj
I asked if I needed a puller because in most cases if a part is "pressed" in place you would need one and not be able to tell,in other cases you rely on the experience of others.See ,I run a mobile service,I did not have a puller on the truck,one was available from a friend,I was trying to save my self a trip to his shop by asking,I don't do alot of these and figured I would ask for a general opinion as to what to expect,anyway they came right out ,simple as pie,strangest thing was,I bought two new injectors for a 2GM20 motor,when I pulled them out,they were different,went back to my parts man an he asked me for ser.#'s ,did'nt have any on the motor,then he told me that the injector I pulled was from a 3GM20 motor,told him ,NOPE ,2GM20,he said he was looking at a 3GM20 injector and the new one that matched was the same,so that is what is in it.NOW for the good part,turns out that in 1984 Beneteau made 4 of these boats ,the boats were modified and shipped from France,they have oversized injector pumps from an "H" motor and injectors from a 3GM20 motor,they were trying different combinations and made "alternative " parts for M20GM motors,they look pretty much the same,just don't look for ser# plaques,because all you will find is an over sized injector pump,they are plumbed a little different also,they also tell you that the salt water pump is a 2GM20 but should overheating or higher than normal temps occure,then a 3GM20 motor pump can be used,they were not fresh water cooled as to cut down on motor wieght,the owner has just become aware that he accidentally purchased a modifed ,full custom race boat,he always wondered what those first and second place plaques next to the helm station were for ,now we know,interesting HUH?

Status
Not open for further replies.