Yanmar 55 Overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony H

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 St Helens, Oregon
Has anyone overhauled a 55 hp Yanmar? Costs? Heartache? Experience? We are thinking of buying a run-out and refurbishing...

J

John Richard

Do you mean a 55 or 56 hp?

Tony, I have a feeling you are refering to the 56 hp Yanmar, 4JH3B series of motors. Ours is approaching 600 hours after a little over 3 years. My view is to always go with our local Yanmar dealer to do engine work. Too much is involved, and the confidence you get from going with authorized dealers is important. In Southern California, we use Boatswain's Locker. I'm sure you have someone similar on your end. John Richard s/v Jack's Place

Jun 3, 2004
- - Kent Island, MD
How Old

What is the age and engine hours on your Yanmar? Unless you've got over 10,000 hours on a Yanmar, I can't imagine considering an overhaul!

W

Wim van den Toorn

Agree with Rozanski

No overhaul of a Yanmar below 10.000 hrs., unless something very special happened!

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Tony

What ever you decide to do, I'm sure you will be given the option of installing a new engine and selling your old one or trading it in to a rebuilder. It appears to be cost and time effective. I rebuilt my smaller 3GM (no labor charge, I did it) but we will probably part company next time. Good luck with your project boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.