Yanmar 4jh3e belt problem

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I read some of the prior posts and noticed this. The pulleys need to be perfectly smooth, sanding them may turn them into rotating files.
I have done that after the problem presented, with 600 grit very smooth finish. As you said i need to turn by hand the pulley the problem can be there.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Gates 9451hd green stripe. This is for standard 80 amp Hitachi alternator. If the alternator has been upgraded to 100 amp check to see if the pulley is the same diameter.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
My 4jh4e has a very specific Mitsubishi belt that manual and prior owner says has to be used. Its not just diameter, shape , thickness but also angle and depth of vee.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
My 4jh4e has a very specific Mitsubishi belt that manual and prior owner says has to be used. Its not just diameter, shape , thickness but also angle and depth of vee.
i am trying now an original belt, i will post you informed

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
i am trying now an original belt, i will post you informed
I have the upgraded 100 amp Balmar that Hunter installed. My belt wear is nominal. I just changed it last summer after 6 years on the prior one.
I’m seriously considering switching to Serpentine. Balmar makes a kit which should seamlessly change it over. It’s not cheap, but nothing on a boat is

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
Ok i found the problem, two monts ago several hosees get loose, i had seawater coming in. I did not notice until several hours of use, the alternator get some salt water and start to corrode and the rotor inside start to develop some rust. So was very hard tu turn but was turning, the belt did not hold the pressure and start to disintegrate. Thanks to all the imput from you

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
was the alternator still putting out the specified amount of charging amps, though it had seawater corrosion damage to the rotor?

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
yes all look normal, with a brush and a lot of patience i take all the rust off and then i replaced and soldier a new brush because i broke off when try to open it. Then i take the sailboat back to Progreso and in the second day we had to motoring because a 25 knots in the noise for more than 10 hours. Any way i am looking to buy a new one just in case. I would like to go to Habana Cuba this november, they are opening the bay for us for the 500 years of the Habana. I need to be ship shape has is a 3 day to isla mujeres then 25 hours to the most west point of cuba and then 3 more day to Habana.