Yanmar 4JH impeller vane direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I noticed with I pulled the raw water impeller for winteriziation that one of the vanes was oriented in a direction different from all the others. This can't be right I thought?

I couldn't get a good picture of it but I am borrowing one from another thread that looks the same for the impeller being removed. (Note the 3rd and 5th pictures I think. It looks like the vane in about the 6 o-clock positon is facing the wrong direction. In the new installed impeller they are all going the same direction.

What gives? Did the previous installer put it in wrong? Does it somehow change direction when in operation? Just want to know before I put in the new one next spring? The one I took out had at least one and maybe two vanes facing the wrong direction.

Here is the picture link from another thread.

While these photos are NOT from a Hunter the engine is the same.

http://ipphotos.com/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=398

Thanks in advance

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
My guess is when engine stops, the crankshaft rolls back some just before dead stop. I don't think its a problem. You can hand crank a little with pump cover open and see cock shut and see the vane will fall into alignment.

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
Not to worry it's normal. I suspect Ken's right about the slight roll back on shut down.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Thanks for the responses

Not to worry it's normal. I suspect Ken's right about the slight roll back on shut down.
Thanks all. Just didn't look right but as long as its something that is normal I'm fine. Just wasn't sure it was the way it was supposed to be.

Thanks again.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.