Yanmar 3YM30 Operating Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2004
Hunter 33 Seaside Park, NJ
Hello. I'm the proud new owner of a 2005 Hunter 33. I don't have a temperature gauge yet, but I bought an infrared temperature gun. My question is, what temperatures should I see when I point to different places on the engine? After running at 2800 rpm for 30 minutes, the reading at the top of the engine (on the label behind the oil filler cap) was 200 degrees; reading of the hose going to the water heater was 160; thermostat housing was about 180. Should I check other spots? The engine is the Yanmar 3YM30.
Thanks,
Herman

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sounds about right, Herman.. The engine should have a 180F thermostat.. The 200F reading you took is in a place where there is no cooling other than the air in tteh compartment .. you are measuring oil temp there because of the oil splash inside the valve cover, I think.. All sounds like it should.. An infrared gun is not 100% accurate because of the difference in "emissivity" of the different surfaces..(the amount of infrared that escapes at a given temperature) .. But it is pretty good for taking ballpark measurements.. and it seems like you have a good set of readings. Motor Onward !

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Herman, nice boat :)

I run mine at 2800 for hours without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.