Yanmar 3YM20 and Hunter 31 Winterize

Jun 25, 2005
Hunter 31 Carlyle IL
I recently purchased a 2007 Hunter 31. I am not familiar with diesel engines or larger boat systems. Previous boat was a Macgregor 26S. My Yanmar operator's manual says to just drain the 2 raw water cocks/drains for winter storage. I have seen other post that speak to removing the engine raw water intake hose from the thru hull and sucking a 5 gallon bucket of RV pink anti freeze thru the engine. What is the best say to get the sea water out of the engine? I also have a water heater that uses engine sea water for the heating the water tank.

Also tips on winterizing the fresh water/heater system (Jabsco pump) , shower sump Jabsco pump), and the Air Conditioner sea water hose (Little Giant pump), and Jabsco toilet (manual pump). Live in Missouri and it's not to early to start planning haul out. Thanks

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Perhaps a Little More Specific ...............

I recently purchased a 2007 Hunter 31. I am not familiar with diesel engines or larger boat systems.

I also have a water heater that uses engine sea water for the heating the water tank.

....................... would be helpful.

Hi Jerry,

Not to appear difficult here, but your questions are probably a little too general to get an answer. Try looking through the archives here (Search) and I'm pretty sure you'll find the info you're looking for. Come back with any specific details you need.

Don't worry about the water coming from your engine to heat the hot water tank. You don't mention the engine type (I'm guessing it's a Yanmar), but mention the age as being from 2007, the engine won't be directly cooled by sea water. The engine water is fresh water coolant (50/50 antifreeze) and won't freeze. However, the water INSIDE the tank will freeze in a very nasty way.

Invest in a book on diesel engines, preferably Calder's "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" for general info. The SELOC manual on Yanmar inboards will detail every nut and bolt in your engine. If you can arrange to rob a bank anywhere near you, you can also consider purchasing the Yanmer shop Manual. Probably over $100.00 by now.

You may find that playing with these things can actually be fun. On the other side of the coin, ignoring them can be rather costly.

Jun 25, 2005
Hunter 31 Carlyle IL
"buy a book" was not the help I was looking for. I you are "guessing" that my engine is a Yanmar you did not read the header or the body of my post. I was requesting information on winterizing the sea water side of my 3YM20 engine. Even I know not t drain the cooling system serviced with anti freeze in my car each winter. I thought I was specific enough in listing the other systems that hold water including the kind of pump each has. Perhaps I got into the wrong forum for more experienced owners.

mr c

Aug 4, 2010
hunter sailboat 31 northport
Sucking pink anti-freeze is the way to go. I have a raw water strainer that I take off the cap and while the engine is running pour 2 gallons in. This runs the raw water out of the block and also ensures the rest of the water in the hoses and muffler will not freeze

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Don't forget your toilet and the freshwater system (tank, lines & heater). Be sure that you do not turn on the water heater until the system is reconditioned in the spring.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I would not use the pink stuff unless I took the rubber impeller out also. The pink stuff makes the rubber brittle. I have had good success with replacing the water with air. As long as there is mostly air in any of the mentioned systems a little water will not hurt. I just take the hoses off, remove the back of the pump, open any raw water drains, and for the fresh water system just drain the tanks then blow air through the lines.