Yanmar 3JH3E Engine Maintenance

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Ok, it's the end of the season, and we're looking at doing our first yearly engine maintenance. Fuel Filters look easy enough to replace. We have a Racor 110A mounted on the wall inside the engine compartment and of course the Yanmar filter. Next is the Oil. Drain, change filter. When I go to put oil back in, how come this engine has 2 Oil fill ports? That seems a little weird. See pictures. Next, I'll need to change out the antifreeze. Is that the drain plug just behind the fan belt to drain the antifreeze? See picture.

All advice welcome!

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Do you not have a service manual?
Here's one online for $20.00.

Sep 11, 2019
I have the manual that came with the boat, but it's pretty limited. Just states to add oil at the top manifold.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Two oil fills because access to the engine varies between boat manufacturers and one is sometimes obstructed.

Draining antifreeze can be more complicated than simply opening a drain plug (there are at least three) because some antifreeze solutions are incompatible with others which necessitates you ensure all the old stuff is removed.

You will need to bleed the fuel system after filter changes.

The boat manual to which you refer is not a Yanmar service manual. Among the reasons to get the engine manual is an explanation where and how many drain plugs you must open.

Sep 11, 2019
Hey, I went online to Yanmar where they have a Marine Portal. Long story short, I messaged them regarding the manual and a gentlemen by the name of Tom Motta emailed the pdf Service manual for our 3JH3E Yanmar motor. Now we're rockin'