Yanmar 3JH3E clutch slipping

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Thank you Dave. The place where we put up on the hard in the winter suggested Mack Boring & Parts Company in New Jersey. At least now I have a couple options. Interesting they're both from New Jersey.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thank you Dave. The place where we put up on the hard in the winter suggested Mack Boring & Parts Company in New Jersey. At least now I have a couple options. Interesting they're both from New Jersey.
Mack Boring no longer does repairs. They are the East Coast Yanmar distributor, but I don't think they sell retail, only to commercial customers.

Rick Neary, the owner of East Coast Marine Transmissions was the head mechanic at Mack Boring until they got out of the repair and service business.

May 27, 2012
Hunter 380 Nanaimo, BC; Canada
Those issues are much the same as the issues I was having with our 380 before I replaced the shift/throttle lever and the cables.

Sep 11, 2019
FYI, I spoke with East Coast Marine Transmission today. A wealth of information! He does not lap cones...said it's a short term fix. A complete rebuild and as good as new. I'm going to ship out once we get through the season. Fyi, I asked him how to measure you're the gearbox oil level to put this to rest. You seat the dip stick on the top to get the level. Do not screw it in. Also... I've heard that under sail you put your drive into Neutral or Reverse. We always put it in Neutral. East Coast confirmed that Neutral is the way to go.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Fyi, I asked him how to measure you're the gearbox oil level to put this to rest. You seat the dip stick on the top to get the level. Do not screw it in. Also... I've heard that under sail you put your drive into Neutral or Reverse. We always put it in Neutral. East Coast confirmed that Neutral is the way to go.
The fluid level, especially for ATF, is really hard to see. After removing the dipstick lay it on a clean white paper towel. The fluid will wick off and away from the dipstick so you can clearly see the level. The color of the fluid will also be apparent. If it is anything but red, there is an issue with the transmission.

Sep 11, 2019
I actually used a wood skewer ( for shish kebobs) and marked it with a sharpie. A lot easier to see.

Sep 11, 2019
Hello everyone, thought I would follow up. I pulled the transmission last week. Actually, it went very well. I sent it off to Rick ( East Coast Marine Trans). He verified that it was the transmission and is rebuilding it. Thanks again for the info. Should have it back before the cold weather hits.