Yanmar 3GMF. No Zinc? Need Explanation.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Mullee

Can someone explain why the Yanmar 3GMF does not require a zinc? I understand how the heat exchanger works with the sea water and fresh water. Why is a zinc not needed? Thanks. Joe Mullee

J

John K Kudera

Just a Guess,

The F means fresh water cooled, with antifreeze in the water system, no salt water in the engine, no zinc needed.

D

David

There should be

a zinc in the raw water part of your exchanger system.

G

gary

I never found one

If you find one post it. I have never been able to find one. The book say's there is one but when I go to location where it is suppose to be there is not even a place to screw one in.

P

Pete

no zinc on 3gm30f

The 3gm30F does not have a zinc,for what ever reason Yanamr says it does not need zincs.I don't know the technical data as to why not but apparently some engines and cooling systems just don't need them.Maybe check with your Yanmar dealer or Yanmar direct and they could give you a more detailed reason.

D

Don Berger

Yanmar's explanatiopn

According to the Y rep I spoke with once regarding my 4JH, the exchanger is isolated on either side by rubber gaskets which, according to him, means it is not subject to galvanic corrosion common to other units not so connected. For what it's worth, my exchanger has 500 hours on it (as well as the rest of the engine) and appears clean and corrosion free, so far... Don

F

Fred Ficarra

When I rebuilt our Yanmar,,,,

I knew that it didn't use zincs and tracked down the cooling system to find out why. Sure enough, everything that sees raw water is the 'similar metal' "good stuff".

E

Eric Swift

Joe - get in touch

Looks like we are both on rigging. Get in touch, I have a tension gauge and am working on it. I would also love to go out with both boats and try various approaches to improving weather helm, pointing, etc. keswift2@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.