Yanmar 3gm30f Ccolant drain

Oct 2, 2010
Beneteau 36 cc Humlebæk
I am planning to change the coolant on our Yanmar 3gm30f.

Do I drain using the screw close to the secondary fuel filter or the screw on the other side close to the oil filter ? Or do I drain from a third place ?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Probably both. If it looks like a on-off drain valve then it has to be coolant. Fuel and oil (the only other fluids) either don't have drains or have plugs on the oil pan. Crack it and test the output. I know my 4 cylinder has 3 drains

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Should be a drain cock under the heat exchanger/exhaust manifold and another on the block on port side aft of the oil filter. The one that is at/close to the exhaust ell is a seawater drain cock.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Should be a drain cock under the heat exchanger/exhaust manifold and another on the block on port side aft of the oil filter. The one that is at/close to the exhaust ell is a seawater drain cock.
Here is diagram. The drains with dark arrows are the ones for coolant as described by Kloudie, the other one being the seawater drain.

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Hunter 42 Passage Kemah,Texas
easiest is to take hose off water heater plus it is usually the lowest point.

Oct 2, 2010
Beneteau 36 cc Humlebæk
Spoke to a Yanmar dealer today. He told me there is no point in changing the coolant. "You will probably ned to change it on a car maybe every 5th year, but probably never on the engine on your sailing boat." Any views on this ?

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Spoke to a Yanmar dealer today. He told me there is no point in changing the coolant. "You will probably ned to change it on a car maybe every 5th year, but probably never on the engine on your sailing boat." Any views on this ?
I will change mine this year. The engine is a 3GMF (22HP 3cyl).

My reasoning is that the boat is a 1985 and I do not know the last time it has been changed. Given the relatively small cost of this maintenance item, it only makes sense to refresh the coolant and know that it is good. BTW, the coolant also provides corrosion protection. That alone is probably worth the effort.

That's my thinking. Your thinking may vary

Cheers

Matt