Yanmar 3GM Zinc removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blitz

I know there are 3 zincs on my Yanmar 3GM which I recently acquired. I was wondering if I'm the only one who finds it hard to impossible to remove the bolt heads which hold the Zincs in the engine. I use a 1/2" drive ratchet with my foot on the one at the end of the engine and it won't budge. Soaked it with WD40 - still nothing was hoping for a suggestion. I don't even want to think about the other ones on the starboard side of the engine. Also, am I the only one who thinks it was odd that Yanmar decided to put one behind the fuel pump - in that you need to remove it every year to even check the zincs? BTW - I have a 1984 Yanmar 3GM (raw water cooled) on a Seidelmenn 34. Any help would be appreciated.

L

Larry

wrench

Blitz, I too had trouble trying to budge the zinc ports on my 2QM15. What finally worked was using a very large crescent wrench. I think the long arm of this wrench gave me just enough mechanical advantage to break the seal on the threads. Cheers Larry

B

blitz

I was able to remove one zinc with a long breaker bar, but I still have two to go. One is under the Yanmar fuel filter, the other at the end of the engine which I know won't budge. Wondering about using heat on the cylinder head one - anyone try this?

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
3GM zinc removal

Blitz; Just a thought, but instead of heat try a can of CRC Freez-it.I had the same problem getting my zincs out.The Freez-it did the trick along with a long breaker bar(pipe) on a cresent wrench as Larry did.Good luck! Cheers- Capt. Hawk RogueWave

B

Blitz

I'll try the CRC Feez-it if I could find it, where do you get it at. Went to two auto stores - they heard of CRC products but never of that one.

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
Zinc removal

Blitz; I just looked at the can and it says....Freeze-Off [super penetrating spray].Can is red/white & blue. I got it at the Advanced Auto Parts store here locally( Jax,Fla).I would think if you still can not find it, talk to CRC and find out who in your area stocks it.I am told it is a new product????, so may take some searching. Cheers- CaptHawk

B

Blitz

Zinc removal

I found the prodect at Napa Auto parts - but still the plug wouldn't budge.

Status
Not open for further replies.