Yanmar 2QM15 raw water pump

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The aft facing access cover is a lousy design. Has anyone retrofitted a front facing one?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
The aft facing access cover is a lousy design. Has anyone retrofitted a front facing one?
there was a thread a few weeks back on this ...might find it in the search...it was on a 2gm20f ...but having had both engines they look like the same set up so it will probably work on the 2qm15

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I find it much more convenient to just pull the whole pump on the GM engines to change the impeller .

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
The Speed Seal is a good update for your pump. While I have to agree that pulling the pump is a P.I.A. the Speed Seal makes the entire process much easier when changing the impeller. They also have a new update to the Seal with a Teflon insert that is supposed to make the impellers last longer.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
I have the 2GM20F and just pull the pump and do the impeller on the counter at the sink. Less than a 2 beer job

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
At this point I have pulled the pump a half dozen times, so it isn't inability by any means. However, I goofed and ran without my seacock open...too little sailing lately I guess...and I wasted an impeller. It ran fine at the mooring but failed at a critical juncture. It sure would have been nice to leave someone at the helm, run below and change the impeller. If the pumps was facing forward and I could have done it in five minutes tops of even had my nephew do most of it.

Also, repeated removals of the hose from the pump intake flared the end making me question if I could get a good seal or if I could potentially lose prime. I recut the hose end...boy I wish I had cut that steel reinforced hose a bit longer...but it would be nice to avoid removal completely.

I am also pretty in happy with the fixed intake strainer. I don't sail as much as I like and it gets clogged with growth easily. I got a plumbing tool that fires a burst of air into the hose that will unblock it that works okay, because Boston Harbor is pretty chilly for a swim with a wire brush.

Ideally, well I wouldn't mess with adding fresh water cooling, the best set up would be just an opening in the hull to the sea cock and an inboard remote sea strainer.

I may also get some bronze thumb screws made for the cover if I can't change the mount. It seems like it should be possible.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Access is a problem. I keep threatening to cut an access panel in the galley cabinet similar can get at that side of the engine. Perhaps I could change the impeller bling if I had that access and a speed seal.

Another planned improvement is to remove the seacock handle, drill a hole in it and fit an extension to it to make it easy to open and close. Damn thing is in the worst spot.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Woody I searched but didn't see anything.

By the way, a friend recommended a global run dry impeller. About twice the price but potentially cheap insurance so I bought one.

Another thing to watch is if I baked a shaft seal. I sure hope not. I have to watch to see if I lose prime. I wishe I had one of those in line flow meters we used to use in the lab lol.

https://www.gcsmarine.com/content/impellers/impellers

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
the hole in the seacock handle is a good thought ....i think the thread was from Ralph Johnstone or some thing like that i will try to find it

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Thanks Woody! Definitely didn't find those. Looks like the pump wouldn't stick out much further than it does now. I could probably get a local machine shop to make me a thicker cover with a no-ring in it if Speedseal doesn't make something for the 2qm15. One thing I really don't like about the Speedseal is the stainless thumbscrews. Given that the pump is 400 if you can find one I think I would rather use studs and wing nuts versus risking stripping the threads. That or get some silicon bronze thumbscrews made...but things will get pricey if I go that route. Plus I will either have to finally learn his to weld...I bought a cheap MIG from China Freight years ago and never used it...or pay to have a bracket made too.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
just order the bracket from yanmar its about 45 dollars and cut through the chase

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I thought the bracket was for a different engine? I'll read through again.