Yanmar 2GMF cold starting

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 30T Madeira Beach, Florida
I had a similar issue with my 2gm20f in my 91 Hunter 30T -
My mechanic adjusted the valves, and suggested I start with half throttle engaged, and added some SeafFoam to my fuel, and starts within 5 seconds - even when frigid in FL this winter with temps in the 50's, on my!:cool:

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
When all else fails, read the instructions! I was lucky enough to get a complete 1GM-2GM-3GM Yanmar Service Manual with my boat. Here are the starting instructions. Sorry I didn’t think to share this earlier.
It warns against holding the starter button down for too long, confirms the starting sequence described previously by myself and others, and also recommends flipping the decompression levers when starting in very cold weather. I’ve personally never needed to touch the decompression levers, but I’ve never tried to start my engine in less than about 45° weather. So it’s good to know, but I would think should generally not be necessary for the OP down in Florida.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
When all else fails, read the instructions. I was lucky enough to get a complete Yanmar Service Manual for my 2GM with my boat. Here are the starting instructions. Sorry I didn’t think to share this earlier.
It warns against holding the starter button down for too long, confirms the starting sequence described previously by myself and others, and also recommends flipping the decompression levers when starting in very cold weather. I’ve personally never needed to touch the decompression levers, but I’ve never tried to start my engine in less than about 45° weather. So it’s good to know, but I would think should generally not be necessary for the OP down in Florida.
Always good to RTFM…not much there we didn’t already mention.

I will try pushing my throttle to HIGH when I launch my boat in April… I usually start it cold at about MED. Will see if it makes any difference.

I do wonder how people decompress the engine, push the start button, adjust the throttle and then flip the compression levers back to normal operation by themselves. My arms aren’t long enough ;)

I did buy a remote starter switch, but have yet to try it. I bought it thinking I may be trouble shooting the engine, and may need to turn it over or try to start it from the engine compartment.

Thanks for sharing the manual pages.

Greg