Yanmar 2GM20F throttle

Jun 24, 2020
Southcoast Seacraft 25 Middle River, MD
When motoring my 33 Pearson the throttle lever tend to slowly go back toward idle speed (if I let it), is there something I can tighten? Is there a spring adjustment? This is a pain and inconvenience.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I had the same problem on a Yahama OB. I found some YouTubes that showed how to fix it. Most of the throttle bodies use the same approach and you should be able to find a flat head screw someplace on the aft side of the housing.

Here is a youtube that helped me.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Consider this. Same as Tricia said just not $25 USD

We all know control cables have an outside sheath and an internal wire. The internal friction is pretty low. So - and this works every time - put a small (see below) cable clamp on the control cable upstream from the throttle lever in the motor compartment. Tighten the clamp a bit at a time. The clamp compresses the outer sheath; the friction on the inner wire increases; and the internal wire will not creep any longer. Don't overdo it just tighten a bit at a time until throttle creep is eliminated.

Charles

Attachments

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
The cable brake is the key to stopping that throttle creep. On my 340 there was so much creep it never stayed in place. Forward or reverse.
What your doing is stopping the entire cable from whipping (swaying), when you move the throttle. Mine is placed within 1 foot from the bottom of the throttle assembly at the pedestal. That’s where the cable will whip the most.
The difference is like night and day. It was tiring just motoring in and out of the harbor, while I held the throttle in place.
And zip tie the cable along the entire run where you have access to the harness up to the engine. Just not to tight. It controls the whipping action.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
On my O’Day 322 with an Edson pedestal, I first used a zip tie to hold the throttle at WOT (or close to it) when motoring.

Then I removed the compass, got inside to the tension screw, gave it a little snug, and now the throttle stays put.

Check out your pedestal for the tension screw…

Greg

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
put a small (see below) cable clamp on the control cable upstream from the throttle lever in the motor compartment. Tighten the clamp a bit at a time. The clamp compresses the outer sheath; the friction on the inner wire increases; and the internal wire will not creep any longer. Don't overdo it just tighten a bit at a time until throttle creep is eliminated.
:plus:

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
.... It was tiring just motoring in and out of the harbor, while I held the throttle in place..
Yah... I used a bungy cord to tie my throttle until I discover (from this forum) my Edson throttle has a built-in tensioner for the cable :facepalm:...now why didn't i think of that :banghead:

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
as others have said, inside your Lesson pedestal under the compass there is an adjustment screw. if there isn't one like my boat, you can add one by drilling and taping for the screw. I asked Edison and they gave me the instructions of how to do it, pretty simple. I suggest you contact them.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Interesting. My pedestal throttle has always been stiff. I thought it needs lubrication or something. I wonder if a PO tightened it so it wouldn't back off on the 'gas'.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
For years I used a wedge. A piece of rubber tied by a string and covered with masking tape. One side fitted with velcro which would attach to the pedestal for storage. It works and became so second hand that I did not bother looking for how to find replacement parts or fix the mechanism.

Nov 16, 2020
C&C 37 San Diego, CA
inside your Lesson pedestal under the compass there is an adjustment screw. if there isn't one like my boat, you can add one by drilling and taping for the screw.
I took a look inside my Edson pedestal and found a counterbore, but no through hole with threads to insert a screw for braking. Looks like a simple fix to drill out and tap the hole. I've left a message with Edson to see if this is the best option for me.