Yanmar 2GM20F question about cooling system

Sep 16, 2014
Pearson P303 Titusville
My parts manual for our Yanmar 2GM20F shows the mixing "elbow" really as a pipe that comes out and has a 45 degree (maybe) bend with the water inlet on top.

Under optional parts it shows the traditional "U" shaped mixing elbow.

Our boat has the "U" shaped elbow. Question is what is the difference ? Also, I assume I should put the "U" shaped one back (the old one is clogged) ?

ALNims

Jul 31, 2014
Hunter 356 Huis Ten Bosch Marina, Sasebo, Japan
My parts manual for our Yanmar 2GM20F shows the mixing "elbow" really as a pipe that comes out and has a 45 degree (maybe) bend with the water inlet on top.

Under optional parts it shows the traditional "U" shaped mixing elbow.

Our boat has the "U" shaped elbow. Question is what is the difference ? Also, I assume I should put the "U" shaped one back (the old one is clogged) ?
I just changed my mixing elbow with the traditional u-shaped. That is what I had installed. I recommend that you do the same thing quickly. If your mixing elbow is clogged, water can get into the cylinders and damage the engine. We had a fellow in our marina run his engine with a clogged mixing elbow and he had to replace the engine. I would use genuine Yanmar parts too.
Andrew

Sep 16, 2014
Pearson P303 Titusville
I just changed my mixing elbow with the traditional u-shaped. That is what I had installed. I recommend that you do the same thing quickly. If your mixing elbow is clogged, water can get into the cylinders and damage the engine. We had a fellow in our marina run his engine with a clogged mixing elbow and he had to replace the engine. I would use genuine Yanmar parts too.
Andrew
Our clog seems to be right at the inlet, including the inlet fitting itself. It's never pumped a ton of water through, but last weekend I saw a high FW temp alarm and shut the engine down.

After we got towed back to the dock I stated diagnosing the cooling issue. The sea water pumped needed a new impeller. Today I installed and still no water out the back, so I proceeded to take a look in the heat exchanger and finally the mixing elbow.

There are no signs of water backing into the engine from the elbow fortunately, and I did run the motor for a short time (long enough to see that the impeller wasn't the fix).

ALNims

Jul 31, 2014
Hunter 356 Huis Ten Bosch Marina, Sasebo, Japan
Our clog seems to be right at the inlet, including the inlet fitting itself. It's never pumped a ton of water through, but last weekend I saw a high FW temp alarm and shut the engine down.

After we got towed back to the dock I stated diagnosing the cooling issue. The sea water pumped needed a new impeller. Today I installed and still no water out the back, so I proceeded to take a look in the heat exchanger and finally the mixing elbow.

There are no signs of water backing into the engine from the elbow fortunately, and I did run the motor for a short time (long enough to see that the impeller wasn't the fix).
Sounds like you are on track. I would change all three pieces. The exhaust elbow, joint and mixing elbow. Once these pieces are together for awhile it is very difficult to take them apart. I think the total cost was around $150.00 to $200.00
much cheaper than a rebuilt engine.
Andrew

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
plan on about 300.00 for those parts i just checked toad pricing and it will run 375.00 for all 3 parts

Mar 25, 2010
Hunter 34 Rose Haven MD
Just did mine, Niemiec Marine has the U elbow assembely for 300 and abt 20 shipping. The only extra part you need is the gasket for the extension elbow where it meets the engine. Really easy change out.