Yanmar 2GM20F - Filler Cap (neck) & Subtank

May 28, 2019
Hunter 28.5 Commanders Point
My question is regarding the Yanmar filler cap. For some reason my Yanmar 2GM20F has a large 1 ¼” hose connected to a filler “neck” piece on the top of the engine where the filler cap would normally be. When removing the 1 ¼“ hose from the engine filler “neck” to refill the radiator fluid the “neck” broke off and now I’m unable to connect the 1 ¼” hose to the engine.
I was looking to replace this “filler neck” and after looking online this part does not exist. I’m only able to purchase a normal filler base & cap as expected that would then run a normal overflow pipe to the external subtank. I wouldn’t expect any radiator fluid “overflow” would ever make it to the subtank since the hose is 1 ¼”!!
This is a 1 ¼” x 4' hose that connects to the filler “neck” on the engine and the hose extends outside of the engine compartment into the battery compartment located under the seat in the cockpit. The opposite end of the 1 ¼” hose then connects to an external filler cap that has a short overflow pipe connected to the external subtank located in the underseat compatment.
Is the above a valid overflow setup or should I purchase a normal filler base & cap and run a normal ove rflow pipe over to the subtank located in the underseat compartment? I noticed the overflow pipe should be a the same level and should not be longer than 1 meter which may be why this setup this way.
I hope this make sense and this can be resolved relatively easily. I will attach some pictures to help explain this issue. - Thanks in advance for your help!!
Filler Neck Broken.jpg
Neck prior to break.jpg
Neck prior to break.jpg

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Wow, I've not seen a setup like that before.. Strange stuff! I would definitely go back to the original fill cap/ overflow tank..
The hose nipple probably broke off at its solder connection because the engine moves a good bit on the mounts, which would put a good bit of stress on the nipple.. It could be brazed (not soldered) to fix until it breaks again when the stress gets to it.. but I'd make it correct.. your boat, your choice..

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
This is definitely a home made (improvement ? ? ? ) made by a PO. You can see the burned paint on the tank around the copper tube from the brazing. My set up matches your diagram which is taken from the same maintenance manual which I have.

DSC02608R.JPG

It's just soooooooooo plain WRONG I wouldn't bother with it any further. I would proceed with installing a new flanged filler cap assembly.

Just for the record, I have never bothered maintaining any coolant in the overflow tank mounted on the rear of the engine and it always sits dry. I originally did maintain a level of anti-freeze in it but as it was mounted on the engine, it managed to shake itself out the air vent at low RPM. I find there is so much coolant tubing (DHW heater) attached to the engine that it takes up the thermal expansion and does not allow the the radiator cap to lift.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I think the part ya need is 123682-44190.. the original fill spout.. A good radiator shop could probably braze/solder in a new spout onto the original plate.. and with a new cap and the relocated sub tank, you'd be good to go..

May 28, 2019
Hunter 28.5 Commanders Point
Thank you for confirming I'm not crazy and this setup is totally wrong. I've ordered the new filler cap assembly and will re-route the overflow tank back inside of the engine compartment and leave empty as suggested. Thank you for the quick reply!! - Brett

Feb 13, 2023
Hunter 27-2 Milwaukee
Hello My 1988 hunter 28.5 has the same setup with the large cooling hose exiting the engine compartment to a filler neck with pressure cap located in battery compartment I’m trying to locate a filler neck similar to ones I have seen on other boats that has a filler neck in place of the large hose. I made the cover with the step removable- it slides forward so i have full access to engine top. I would the relocate the expansion tank somewhere nearby in the engine compartment